The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my setup... It has been running for a month now..

72 Gal Bow Front, 2 54w T5 HO lights - 10 Hours a day, Aquarium Plants C02 Regulator, Milwaukie controller set at 7.0ph, Aquarium Plants 5000 C02 reactor on pressure side, Eheim 2217, EI dosing, 50% water changes weekly, Heavy Planted Tank.
All plants are healthy and I have 5 Angels, 2 Mollies, 1 Betta (Wifes), 5 Oto Cats. I plan to add a few more fish this week.
All test numbers are fine..
I don't like the way the filter clears the tank.. I don't think there is enought filtration as there are small particles I see.
I did a 50% water change yesterday and cleaned my filter using aquarium water in a clean bucket and was not 100% satisfied .
Could I add another 2217 and put the spray bar on the opposite end of the tank?? Is anyone running dual 2217's on a 72 gal??
Thanks for any input. I'n new at this but I am slowly handling this tank, one issue at a time.. My plants did pearl for the first time this week.. what a sight!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey there captroy,

I'm fairly new, so take my words lightly, but I remember reading a thread somewhere where a member asked a very similar question. I can't remember what or where the thread was, but I do remember that the general consensus of feedback was that you can never have too much filtration.

(Up to a certain degree I'm assuming, but it seems like it would have to be relatively insane-overkill-filtration to become more of a problem than a help.)

In fact, after reading that thread, I went and cleaned up a fairly old Tetra Whipser 40 to use in my planted 15G, and packed it full of polyfiber for water polishing (it helped, just took a tad longer than expected).

Now that same 15G has two filters running:
-Aquaclear 30 with mech/chem/bio filtration
-Tetra Whisper 40 with mech filtration only

So far it's been about 2-3 days and everything seems fine. Only difference is a more refined and clearer look of the aquarium and it's water!

Hope this helps!

-Michael

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I love the 2 filter option.

I run 2 Cascade 1000's on my 75gallon. I clean 1 filter a month, and I also use Purigen not AC. I also use the 5$ Floss you can by at Walmart for blankets or Pillows.

You will find having 2 filters are better than 1.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I agree with the multiple filter users. I do this in my tanks that have larger predator fish that are messy eaters, and in my planted tank where I cannot get down into the gravel with a siphon. My only caveat is that I typically do not use two of the same sort of filter. For instance: I have two filters on my main planted tank right now: Eheim canister and Marineland BioWheel HOB. I like the BioWheel for biological filtration and the Eheim for media versatility. Since you already have a canister, maybe try adding an HOB power filter to add to the versatility of your setup.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
All test numbers are fine..
I don't like the way the filter clears the tank.. I don't think there is enought filtration as there are small particles I see.
Take a plastic pop or water bottle and cut the bottom out of it. Pack medium tight with filter floss. Shove a power head in the spout end. Run it for a couple of hours to polish the water. Depending on the ugliness of your creation, leaving it in full time can only help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.. I really do appreciate it!

I will be going for another filter I just need to decide which one..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.