The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I Just did a 50% water change on my co2 injected tank. I've been slacking on water changes.. usually Like to do water changes every week. But I let one week slide. Now all my fish except my gouramis look Like they've died. All my rummy nose and ember tetra's have started to float. The shrimp were also acting a bit skittish, something that has never occurred really.

What did I do wrong here? Did I change too much co2 injected water, and shocked my fish? I changed water at the end of the night when the co2 has stopped being injected for the day.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Hey all. I Just did a 50% water change on my co2 injected tank. I've been slacking on water changes.. usually Like to do water changes every week. But I let one week slide. Now all my fish except my gouramis look Like they've died. All my rummy nose and ember tetra's have started to float. The shrimp were also acting a bit skittish, something that has never occurred really.

What did I do wrong here? Did I change too much co2 injected water, and shocked my fish? I changed water at the end of the night when the co2 has stopped being injected for the day.
Your best bet to figure it out when this happens to immediately do some water tests to see the difference in parameters. Main things that come to mind are temperature shock and ph shock. I would say co2 gassing but you said the co2 had shut off completely for the night so that one is unlikely. If your water temperature is more then a few degrees off from what is in the tank that can do this. Similarly if your tap is more then a point away from the tank ph you might get this though I have honestly never seen it actually happen (just heard people say it can).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Guess is ph shock. Temperature of the water i was changing out matched the aquarium. I will try smaller water changes moving forward. Really upsetting since I took my time to quarantine and build up a healthy school of rummies. I only have one survivor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I use seachem prime with every change. I Also use Wonder Shells for The shrimp, which supposedly takes Care of any chlorine. My municipal water is actually pretty good in my area. My hunch is still ph shock. I didn't test The water this time around. So I can't be to sure.

The shrimp and air breathing fish survived (gourami, betta). Just not the tetras. 😩

·
Registered
550 Posts
Did you get pH and kH tests at the time? Even if not, it would be worth doing some now on some tank water, tap water (immediately from the tap), and tap water (left to stand for 24 hours.) It does sound like pH shock but it's difficult to tell without actual numbers. Getting the numbers would also help others help you to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.