The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are these plants? I have two that I don't think are fully aquatic plants to me, but than again, I don't know much about plants soo......:eek5 I can't get a good picture of either of the ones I don't think are aquatic, or fully, atleast. I'm moving them into a 55gal with 300watts total light.

The one in front I know is fully aquatic. I just don't know what it is. I've seen it in many people's tanks. The long green spikey one behind it is another one that I can't identify. Any help.

Here's a nother picture of the purple plants.

Here's a full tank shot. Yes, I know I have a algae problem. You can't see the last plant. It's way in the back. I'll take a picture of it when I move it into the 55.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Just an update. I took back the two bog plants. I got some java moss and the other one I forgot what it is. I'll take a picture of it soon.

The purple plant has lost all of its leaves and the stem is now turning half brown. It does have little green tiny leafs on the stem those. I don't know if it will make a come back. I moved it into the front center of the tank so it can get more light. Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts/frustrations?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
yes pull it out before it rots totally. Grow it in a moist soil pot in a sunny window. It isn't aquatic~

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes pull it out before it rots totally. Grow it in a moist soil pot in a sunny window. It isn't aquatic~
I was talking about the purple plant. The one I had clear pictures of. Not the other two. Are you saying all three are non-aquatic? The purple plant definately looks like a aquatic plant to me. It's also starting to make a little bit of a come back since I changed the CO2 bottle yesterday.

·
Registered
722 Posts
the purple plant is ludwgia....repens broad leaf i think...
the spiky ones are Acorus sp (good call jen :icon_smil )
did you buy your plants at petsmart?
the one down the road from me has these exact same plants
the ludwigia is fully aquatic....no need to worry about that one...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the purple plant is ludwgia....repens broad leaf i think...
the spiky ones are Acorus sp (good call jen :icon_smil )
did you buy your plants at petsmart?
the one down the road from me has these exact same plants
the ludwigia is fully aquatic....no need to worry about that one...
Yes, I did. Ludwgia repens you say? What requirements do they need?

·
Registered
722 Posts
ludwiga is supposed to be an easy plant to keep....moderate lighting will do....but if you want it to stay red you have to have high light and keep your nitrates low....add co2 and this plant will grow fast ....i think its a very beautiful plant...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ludwiga is supposed to be an easy plant to keep....moderate lighting will do....but if you want it to stay red you have to have high light and keep your nitrates low....add co2 and this plant will grow fast ....i think its a very beautiful plant...
Oh really? I was under the impression that red plants were harder to keep. I guess they are just harder to keep red. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Oh really? I was under the impression that red plants were harder to keep. I guess they are just harder to keep red. :hihi:
I think it really depends on the plant. I have Sunset Hygro that is a vibrant red right now and I have low light but then my Rotala and Ludwigia arent as red(they dont really have any red on them!). I guess it depends on the nutrients and CO2 they are recieving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts