The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stem plants grew by like 50% and the alage on the glass and plant leaves halted and are now receding (a little blackbeard was on the edges of slower growing plants lioe anubias and buce). Also, a ton of snails showed up and there was much less detritus covering the moss abd substrate moss.

Any idea what would have happened? I didn't change my 5 hour lighting and the co2 is still a light green or 1.2 ph drop.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is about a year old and it uses amazonia aquasoil.

I have been using NilocG liquid fert mixes for macro and micros, following its instructions for my 20 gal. If I missed a water change the algae would grow really quickly even by the next day. However, I started the routine because I thought my ferts were too low, due to stunted growth and algae when was using dry ferts before all of this.

I can't help but feel like my tank got a nice rest and reset. I'm just not sure what exactly happened or why it needed it. How could 4 weeks of poop be better than the fert routine?

I'm actually really surprised at how clean my tank looks due to not disturbing the substrate (I think).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar experience when I cut back on dosing NilocG. (I was dosing Thrive+) I'm wondering if the recommended dosing/overdosing was causing a micronutrient toxicity. While I was dosing as recommended and running 50% water changes weekly I constantly had stunted growth in my stem plants. I cut the dosing back by about 50% and suddenly my stems have started growing like crazy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. I will definitely be cutting it down if and when the tank starts suffering due to lack of ferts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a similar experience when I cut back on dosing NilocG. (I was dosing Thrive+) I'm wondering if the recommended dosing/overdosing was causing a micronutrient toxicity. While I was dosing as recommended and running 50% water changes weekly I constantly had stunted growth in my stem plants. I cut the dosing back by about 50% and suddenly my stems have started growing like crazy.
At least from what I can see, NilocG's dry ferts dosing chart is based on the higher tank volume. So a 10-20Gal dose of nitrates would be 1/8 tsp but if you're on the lower end of the volume it's double of what you need to dose. I'm just sticking to the calculator on rotalabutterfly.

This is what the calc comes up with for Thrive+

1 - 6 of 6 Posts