The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had red cherry shrimp for 12+ months or so now, and for the first time I actually saw an RCS shed.

It shaped itself into a U shape, then *BAM*, it zipped off into the water, leaving its shell behind.

I thought it would have been a slower process, rather like stepping out of wet pajamas or something.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've had red cherry shrimp for 12+ months or so now, and for the first time I actually saw an RCS shed.

It shaped itself into a U shape, then *BAM*, it zipped off into the water, leaving its shell behind.

I thought it would have been a slower process, rather like stepping out of wet pajamas or something.
Cool. I have yet to see one actually molt in front of my eyes.

-Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I seen my amano shrimp shed. It was so quick I almost missed it. 5 or 6 of them were zooming around the tank really quickly. I don't know if this is some kind of mating ritual but it appeared that 2 of them did, stopping breifly, doing their thing and them continued on zooing around. Near the end of it all one shrimp stopped on the java moss and shedded it skin real quick. I had to do a double take because I thought it was still sitting there.

sl

·
Registered
477 Posts
Awesome! Isn't it neat when you actually witness it? I've seen my cajun dwarf crays molt before. They curl up in a little ball, lay on their side and then slowly squeeze their way out of their old skin. It's really neat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yea! I just saw it this morning, when I turned on the light! The shrimps turned into a flurry when I turnd on the light, and one of them was knocked upside down! I thought it was dead/dying, but when I grabbed a straw to try to poke it, it shot across the nano, and left its molt behind! What a relief!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I never have seen mine molt, although I know they do, since I sometimes see the molts around. But the shrimps don't even put their molts to waste, since they love to eat it as well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, no wonder I've seen tons of empty "shells" but never have actually seen one come out of one. Cool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts