The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have space for one more 10 gallon aquarium in my bedroom, and I've decided I want this one to focus on fish, rather than plants. That doesn't mean the tank has to be plant-less, necessarily, but I want to use this tank to raise and breed fishes that are unique to me, just to increase my experience factor with various freshwater fish.

I just don't really know how to even narrow it down! The first thing that comes to mind is I have to be able to give away and/or sell any babies that I can successfully rear, so it has to be both a desired fish and also not available in every LFS or big box chain store. Then of course size has to be factored in, because this will be taking place in a 10g. Then of course, I will have to factor in relative ease of breeding procedures/conditions.

So far, my mind seems to wander into the realm of catfish or shell-dwellers. Two vastly separate categories of fish, I know, but when considering the size of the aquarium, these two categories are what jump out. I've never kept shellies before, much less bred them, so that might be very exciting, and I understand they are good for small tanks! I just don't know how popular they are. Then of course, with the catfish category, it is well known that many of them (from the loricariids to the cories) are small enough and/or capable of being bred in a 10g. And I think it's safe to say that there will always be people who want various catfishes because of how cool they are!

The other day I found a really awesome article over at planetcatfish about keeping and breeding a variety of catfish in a 10g, but now I can't find it for the life of me. :( But I remember it talking about how various cories and loricariids would work well in it.

I'm just, indecisive here. I'm hoping others can give me a little "push" or something that I need to help decide. I just want to expand my palette a bit here, and I only have the small tank to work with. I want to be able to recreate the natural environment of the chosen fish, regardless of if that means there will be no plants in the tank. And I want the fish to successfully breed, then I want to be able to easily sell or give away the babies, so I don't get stuck with millions of critters I have to euthanize just because I have nowhere to put them. :(

So, any advice here? What are some fun fish to raise that fit my requirements? Or maybe, ones that are just so beautiful that it doesn't matter how boring they are? Or maybe, ones where it's just fun to recreate their natural habitat? I don't know... start throwing out ideas. Thank you!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot to mention, if it even matters... the stand I'm putting the 10g on is one of those metal stands that has a platform beneath it to hold a standard 5.5g. So if needed, I could have one of those there also, like to have a separate fry-rearing tank, or spawning tank, or whatever.

:)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you can breed any fish under 5 inches in a 10G now that I think about it. You have to make the water conditions right to trigger them to breed.

The other thing you'll have to do is keep a menagerie of live foods for the parents and the fry.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ For some reason, unfortunately, those are the most difficult fish for me to come by! I've yet to actually see them in person. :(

mistergreen said:
The other thing you'll have to do is keep a menagerie of live foods for the parents and the fry.
That shouldn't be too difficult. I have plenty of space outdoors to raise some daphnia, or brine shrimp, or whatever. I was expecting that. :) Also it's good to know about the 5" and under thing. That means in theory I could even raise some of the fancy plecos!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Some thoughts:

See if there's a local aquarium club that has members interested in buying/trading fish.

Ask your LFS if there's any fish they might accept for store credit.

Even sales on Craigslist might be a possibility.

If you're willing to ship, possibilities open up considerably. Gauge interest here, look at what's selling on Aquabid, etc.

Since you mentioned catfish, I've seen albino cory cats reproduce in someone's grossly neglected 10g tank. Hardly any water changes, large amounts of food dumped in periodically. Thick sheets of brown diatom algae covering everything, with some waving inches long in the current! I tried breeding them myself in a cleaner tank but failed. I'm thinking they need more food than I was willing to put in to get in breeding condition.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You could also look into killiefish. Most are not commonly available at the LFS but would be easily sellable I would think, because of their bright coloring. There's also some of the very smallest rainbowfish like threadfins or pseudomugil gertrudae or signifer. Those are fairly popular but sometimes hard to find.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
You could also look into killiefish. Most are not commonly available at the LFS but would be easily sellable I would think, because of their bright coloring. There's also some of the very smallest rainbowfish like threadfins or pseudomugil gertrudae or signifer. Those are fairly popular but sometimes hard to find.
Yea killis are sweet and super easy to breed. You can probably get eggs from an aquarium society meeting.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are all great suggestions! Thanks everyone! I think for now, unless I end up finding out that they are unavailable to me, or just too expensive to obtain, I've decided on trying my hand at raising the shell dwellers. :)

It just seems real exciting to me, moreso than the other options, because of the different water requirements, all new personality of fish to me, that sort of thing. So I'm going with it! I've been hanging out at shelldwellers.com and cichlidforums.com trying to make sense of it all, and I think I'm on the right track.

I will be stocking the 10g with a "harem" of N. multifasciatus, then transferring any fry to a 5.5g beneath it. Right now what I'm interested in is researching more about their natural biotope, so I can create an appropriate hardscape for them. The aquascaper in me still wants to create some kind of an aquascape, even if it is plant-less, lol.

So I'm looking into Eco-Complete Cichlid Sand, and I like the color of the "Ivory Coast" version. It looks like natural river silt, in my opinion, and has the right colors. Anyone have experience using this stuff? I need to find out if, when using a substrate like this, I will still need to add liquid buffers and supplements. I'm guessing no, the substrate will do it all.

Anyway, I got some homework to do...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
the cichlid sand works really well... looks great and does a little bit of buffering for ph. I would recommend you stay with a powder buffer rather than a liquid one. I've found that the liquid buffers need to be added more frequently and they need to be added in larger doses. May I suggest Seachem Tanganyikan buffer, it will get the PH to about 8.8 which is perfect for breeding shellies.

As far as breeding goes I use Whale Eye shells strewn about the bottom of the tank and they establish territories in them, you can by them online, or since you are in florida you can most likely find them anywhere!

I hope this helps. Breeding shell dwellers is so much fun dude, good choice.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Church,

We get tons of land snails here with shells the right size. If you want I can look for some for you.

They're kinda plain in comparison with some I've seen for sale elsewhere, though. I know I've seen nice shells on AquaBid and Ebay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
N. multifasciatus will be sweet fun to keep and breed. Good luck

I'm not sure about transferring all the fry to the other tank. I thought half the charm of these guys is that they stay as a "family". It would be more fun to watch the parent raise the fry anyway, and I think it would be cruel to remove them all.

Maybe just transfer some of each batch?

·
Registered
167 Posts
id think you should start with betta splendens...they are beautiful,cheap and easy to care for

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
P. Gertrudae Aru II Rainbows Church. I just bought 3 pairs from Gary Lange. Look at my post from Friday 12/4. It has links to the site where I discovered them.

Price was reasonable and many of his spairs are spawning.

Great fish and the perfect size for a 10g.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Church, I've kept multi's on and off for 10 years now. I currently have a 75g set up, 1/2 multi's, 1/2 tangy rock dweller tangy cichlids. No need for a fry grow out tank. Multi's colonize, they don't eat their young, and they feed their young for several months, it's really neat to see them going in and out of the shells after taking in a mouthful of food. That's the beauty of raising them. I prefer an eggcrate bottom with shells as substrate. Muliti's dig, a lot, I got tired of the mess they made in the tank. Plus over the years I spent $$$ on 200 whale eye shells and they were burying 1/2 of them! You can tie java fern and anubius onto the shells to give the tank some color. The multi's don't bother the plants. I even EI dose the tank now as I recently set up the top half of the 75g as a riparium. When you have fry, you need to do 50% water changes weekly, the dosing has never hurt my fry. If I was you, I'd set up that 5.5 gallon as another species shell dweller tank. PM me and I'll send you some pics of my setup and some good sites for buying shells.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.