The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what we have in our 55 tank so far. We've got a couple tanks we could move around some fish. My roomies are responsible for the stocking, and they are both pretty bad about just buying what they want when they see it without researching well enough.

2 Golden Gouramis
3 Paradise Gouramis
1 rosy barb
2 Tiger barbs
1 cory
1 yoyo loach
1 longfin zebra danio
2 small plecos

So any ideas on what should be removed/added to make our fish happier? 5 gouramis seems like a lot to me? And something needs to be done about the lone zebra.

I personally like fish such a rainbowfish, endlers, killifish, etc. I've only got a 10gal at work so I kinda want to add something new to the 55?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
MOST of those fish really should be kept in schools... except for the Gouramis. You've pretty much got the reverse of what you should have, LOL

I'd move some of the Gourami around, and I wouldn't keep more than or 3 in the 55gal... and that may not work if they're males and decide to fight, so have a plan B in mind, too.

The Cory, Danio, Barbs (especially the Tiger barbs), and Loach all need to be in groups of minimum 3-5.

Whether you want to keep them in this tank or move them around, they all should get along ok, so it's up to you.

Most Killies do best in species tanks, and rainbows should be kept in schools so you'd need to make room for them if you wanted to put them in the 55. Endlers would be OK but are on the small side, and IDK if they'd mix OK with the Tigers or not?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I have an idea. We have a 29gal that may become available.

Moving 2 Gouramis and the barbs into another tank, and getting them in proper numbers. So the 29 would consist of 2 gouramis, and some more barbs. Not sure what to do with the danio yet, I could try to set him up in the 29 if I get more, or bring him into work to put in my 10.

Getting some more Corys and loaches for our 55. Then getting some small schoolers, maybe cardinal tetras. And perhaps something like a few rasboras, or cherry barbs?

The problem is that he will want to get more bottom fish. He saw a couple kinds of catfish and loaches he liked at the pet store, but I don't think he realizes they needs to be in schools. Perhaps I can talk him into some ottos for the 29 and that will satisfy his need.

What do you think? I appreciate the help so far =)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's being a royal pain. I told him that we need more and he just said "They will be fine." I told him we have too many Gouramis for a 55gal and he said "They will be fine, if we have problems we will deal with it then. They're fish you're going to have some bickering."

So maybe I will just sneak some in there...and steal a gourami or the barbs for my 10gal at work. There's nothing in there yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.