The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try some different fish later on for my 5.5g. I have a pair of guppies and a few gold clouds but want to try something different. I'm probably going to trade for credit at my lfs and I also have fry so I want to see what colors I'll get from them before I decide if I'll keep them. Got some ideas?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You are going to be very limited to what you can keep in a tank that small. If you want a complete change, how about going with shrimp? They come in all kinds of wonderful colors, and if you keep them correctly they will breed and you can sell the babies on here! As fish go, if you wanted to keep a fish in there you could always get a Beta fish or something along those lines. I think there are a few dwarf cichlids that might work out as well, but I usually never suggest that anyone keep any fish in something smaller than a 10 gallon. Most people will keep fish in small aquariums but I personally do not like to do so.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I suppose you could go with a few neon tetra or cardinal tetras they would add a lot of color, and the like to school so they will group together and look nice. If you are interested in raising fish and then selling them, you could get a lot of fish and when they out grow the tank sell or rehome them. I have a friend that has a 15 gallon bow front, and she goes and buys baby angel fish about the size of a nickle and grows them in there and then sells them when they get to about a half dollar size usually for nearly 2-3 times what she paid.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe some endlers? Or like suggested above, a shrimp tank though more sensitive, the varieties are vast.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Check out this users site:
http://msjinkzd.com/species/freshwater-fish/
they sell many (but not all) nano fish and are a trusted seller many people buy from on this forum (will be buying form them soon myself)
You can try pencilfish (or dwarf varieties), dwarf rainbow species like , or a dwarf/pea puffer (tank that small might be cramped for 2 puffers)... would killifish fit in a 5g? I think people breed them in tanks as small as 2.5

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Might see if she has some scarlet badis. How many you think I could keep?
In a 5 g I think a pair or a harem (1m, 2-3f) might be cramped for multiple males. I'm very tempted to try these out myself in my 7g cube (still cycling so not ready yet) but not sure if i want the extra work with live foods.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bumblebee gobies do not need brackish water (they will willingly live and breed in hard, alkaline fresh water), BUT they do need live/frozen food and fanatically clean water. Frozen food needs to be fed to them with a turkey baster if you go that route.

By the way, have you considered Heterandria formosa, Leptolucania ommata, or Elassoma for those tanks? All of these are roughly 1 inch long fish that would do well in a 5 gallon, and they don't even need heaters!. H. formosa is a livebearer, L. ommata is a tiny yellow killifish, and Elassoma are the pygmy sunfishes, whose care is basically identical to that of Dario (though, from all that I've read, they are not quite as intolerant of rival males as Dario are).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts