The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready to set up a dirted 75 gallon tank capped with blasting sand. It's my first planted tank and is lo tech, no CO2 with a Dutch 6300 BML light.

I'd like to have a very low growing carpet in the front with some taller grass (waving in the water type) in the middle and larger plants to the back. I also need something to tie to driftwood and SS squares to make trees. I'd like a few of the plants to be red.

I've attached pics of the wood for the trees.

Can someone offer suggestions? I've been looking through plant lists but it's hard to find out if certain plants need CO2.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try a google search for "beginner aquarium plants". There are about a zillion aquarium plants that fit your requirement, there are swords and crypts and mosses and ferns and grasses and all kinds of stuff. Dwarf hair grass and a java fern would be good, or some moss on the trees or anything your heart desires

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Any plant that you Google will have one site you can choose which will say care and needs of and that one will tell you if it needs CO2.
You would also do yourself a favor if you take the suggestions given on any site which you google listed as beginners plants because getting plants which are not listed that way can be frustrating to say the least. Work your way up. You need to learn ferts before you can do tempermental plants.
Ludwigia Repens is in lots of pet shops, not hard to grow, red and doesn't need high light which is something else you didn't mention but is needed to get most but not all red plants to grow red. Medium will do with some of them. And I do believe the light your buying puts you in the medium level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also you may want to go to your local aquarium store and see what they have and do some research on it. You might decide on a plant and not be able to find it anywhere near you which might be a pain.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions. I think I'll stick with beginner plants for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts