The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i just joined the forum and started a semi planted tank so bare with me lol. okive got a 36" 58 gallon with a 36" current t5HO fixture.
i currently have a 10000k bulb and a acitanic bulb the guy at my lfs that has great plants says it brings out colors of fish and plants better. i also bought a 6700k bulb but it washes the tank out and makes it yellowish. i want to have nice displya lighting and excelent plant growth. i currently have java fern, anubias nana, and crypts. if anyone could help me itd be awsome thankyou.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Bulb selection is more about aesthetic choices than anything else. Most bulbs in the 5000 - 10,000k range will support FW plant growth just fine.

If you don't like 6700k or actinics, but want something to balance out your 10,000k bulb, you might try one of the pink "plant grow" bulbs. That's personally my favorite combo- a pink with a 10,000k bulb.

On the flip side, actinic bulbs don't do much to support FW plant growth, and in your tank situation, this is probably a good thing. If you put 2 plant-growing T5HO bulbs in your fixture, you may start having issues with algae unless you add CO2 and start dosing nutrients in your tank. You'll have a pretty high light tank. Right now using the actinic bulb is probably keeping you in a lower light level, OK without needing CO2.

Personally, I also like running actinic bulbs in my fixtures. They really bring out the blues in fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks so much i have a 6700k and the acitanic in right now it isnt so bright it hurts your eyes, and it seems to balance out the blue and yellow look.do you think a pink plant grow bulb and a 10000k will be to much for my tank and plants tho i like the sounds of that.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The plants you have are all low light demanding plants, so adding more light isn't going to make them grow very fast, just faster. I suggest looking at other people's tanks to see if their lighting looks better to you, then duplicating their bulb choices. I don't like the look of actinic lights on planted tanks, but that is just my personal preference, so pick what fits your preferences.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
ok thanks for the advice what would 2 10000k bulbs do for growth, or a 6700k and 18000k powerglo bulb would that grow plants ok
The 10k combo should work better because the 18k is out of the suggested range. I would try the 18k anyway, see if you like the look. As Hoppy stated, your plants are not very light demanding, they should grow no matter what.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Actually, if you look at the spectrum for the 18,000k PowerGlo (they're on the box, I haven't been able to find them online :icon_conf) they're great for planted tanks. Peaks in red/orange, green, and blue/purple. :proud:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I suspect that 18000K bulbs are called that to let us know that they are 1.8 times better than 10000K bulbs. So what if they cost 1.5 times as much - look at your profit. (OK, look at the vendor's profit, then.)

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Actually, if you look at the spectrum for the 18,000k PowerGlo (they're on the box, I haven't been able to find them online :icon_conf) they're great for planted tanks. Peaks in red/orange, green, and blue/purple. :proud:
I suspect that 18000K bulbs are called that to let us know that they are 1.8 times better than 10000K bulbs. So what if they cost 1.5 times as much - look at your profit. (OK, look at the vendor's profit, then.)
here guys:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.