The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that was probably the worst choice of words for a thread title, but here are the details. I plan to acquire some duckweed in a couple days, but i want to prepare my tank before its arrival. The only way i can put this in perspective is to imagine how "they" deal with oil spills. They place those buffers to keep the oil from spreading out. I want to do the opposite so that the duckweed doesn't float into the output of my internal filter. I remember seeing "feeding rings," that keep flakes and food from moving, at Petsmart but they looked flimsy and difficult to attach.

Any ideas would appreciated! I need some inspiration.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just watch out for fish or the filter spilling them out. I would make a very shallow basket for them instead. Kinda like a breeding net but far more shallow, 1in at the most.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I just got some dwarf water lettuce, and I was going to do the suction cup/airline tubing idea. I have a HOB filter, and I will make a semi-circle around it. Although, the fishing line sounds even better now that I think about it - a heavy test line (thickness) will rise & sink with the water as it moves either from surface agitation from the filter, or from evaporation/water topping.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Styrofoam plate - Cut out the "middle" of the plate leaving a 1/8 to a 1/4" ring. Put the duck weed in the ring. a little fishing line can teather the ring away from the filter outlet. I've see Stro plates in various colors at the $1 store. Maybe you can find a darker color that won't be as obnoxious as white.

We used to make Feeding rings from the tops of Stro coffee cups.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hmm, plastic canvas - the kind in craft stores - is getting a lot of creative use around here. You could make a barrier of any size/depth you want and attach it with GE1 silicone to the glass or silicone it to suction cups...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Oh, I was thinking of encircling the filter, not the dwarf water lettuce. I want the plants to spread, but not get in the path of the outflow for the HOB.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You can paint styrofoam with Krylon fusion. Don't hold the can too close when spraying as the propellant will dissolve the styrene.

It's no joke when it says wait 7 days for drying on the can. It will tend to flake if you try to use it too quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i've heard the rumors about how its impossible to get rid of, so its definitely not going anywhere near my prized planted tank. i just want to see if it will reduce nitrates in my red devil tank. i am just taking extra precautions just in case it grows as fast as they say it does.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I've already seen growth on some of my dwarf water lettuce, which has been in my tank 2-3 days. I wish it was edible & tasted like spinach! lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The dwarf water lettuce just gets drawn towards the HOB, and then pushed under the water & tumbled around by the outflow. I've read that the dwl doesn't like the turbulence & will suffer for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.