The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a freshwater aquarium enthusiast. I had a 55 gallon tank that I kept running for about 8 years. In that eighth year, I decided to go big. I bought am Oceanic Ultimate Reef Ready Tank (72x18x24). It is predrilled with holes in the bottom of the tank, one in each back corner. I also purchased a Lifereef LF-1 sump system. Then I was waiting on my next paycheck to get lights, plumbing, etc. Well before that happened, I got a new job and moved. Aquarium and LF-1 were still boxed up and put in storage. Since then I've moved 2 more times and been working on a PhD, so I've had no time for fiddling with an aquarium. Now its 7 years later. What I knew about aquariums has deserted me, and I still have the tank and the LF1 in storage. I want to get all this out and working. I don't want saltwater anymore, I'm still too busy and broke to deal with that. I would however like to get a freshwater tank set up, and done in such a way I can add CO2 and plants later. Right now Im just looking for water and fish. Im also kinda clueless when it comes to plumbing.

I've looked around on the net for a plumbing diagram, but the one's I've seen seem very complex. Can someone please point me to some decent reading or make some suggestions on how to turn this reef tank into a good freshwater/planted tank? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Plumbing

My first planted tank was an old saltwater tank with the surface siphon drain with sump pump & bio balls & CO2 .....was it efficient ? Maybe not as efficient as what I have now. Did it grow plants OH YES! lots of em' !!
Although the tank I had was not drilled, & without seeing what you have this will only be a basic guidline or @ least give you a starting point.
Run a hose prob 1 1/4-1/2 from your thru tank fitting on the drain side to your sump. On your return install an inline reactor between your sump pump & your spray bar or whatever return your using, add plants,ferts and lights & off you go.
I 'm not sure if I would use the return thru tank fitting or just block it of & hang a spraybar over the edge of the tankor even cap off all holes & run a canister filter like a non drilled if your not planning on using a sump W/ bio balls ect, this route would prob be more efficient. Again this prob is not optimum but it will allow you to grow plants with some degree of success until you can get into something else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.