The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have an emergency in with my shrimps.
I have a temporary tank with all my shrimps. I finish my “new” tank this last Sunday (is a cycled tank) and I’m transfer my shrimps. I notice a lot of skinny brown worms swimming on the water of the temporary tank and I accidentally put some of those worms in my tank.

I already bought no planaria from Amazon and will arrives tomorrow.

I’m never used no plantaria before and I’m really stress out about this outcome.
I still have a lot of shrimps including a lot of baby ones to transfer and I don’t know what to do. I know that the new tank has worms because I saw a few swimming.

please, help me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Those look kind of like detrius worms. If so, a few hungry guppy fry and they'll be gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those look kind of like detrius worms. If so, a few hungry guppy fry and they'll be gone.
Awesome.. I have a dozen of “baby” guppies. 3 weeks one. Thank you.

Gosh my only problem is that I have a few really small baby shrimps that will be a free meal from the guppies. 😓😱

·
Registered
349 Posts
yeah, that's why I like the new guppy fry. If they look like a pair of eyes with a tail, then your shrimp fry are probably safe . As they begin to grow they get ravenous.. so great for eating worms, as well as shrimp fry :)

If you tank is big enough and heavily planted, your shrimplets have a better chance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, that's why I like the new guppy fry. If they look like a pair of eyes with a tail, then your shrimp fry are probably safe . As they begin to grow they get ravenous.. so great for eating worms, as well as shrimp fry :)

If you tank is big enough and heavily planted, your shrimplets have a better chance.
That’s my problem. Is just a 10 gallons with just a few plants.

I have a few worms in my new tank. they where to the new tank when I put the shrimps. I spend around 4 hours removed everyone single worm I saw

I think I will use no-planaria and remove them for good.
Hope I don’t kill any shrimp in the process 😕

·
Registered
349 Posts
The shrimp will be ok with no planaria. I have usde it in the past. It will jack up any fancy snails you have in there like nerites, etc.. doesnt do anything to bladder snails, they seem bullet proof. Do the major water changes they say to do and remove any fancy snails while treating. It took around 6 months for my tank to be safe for my nerites again. Now, if those aren't planaria, (doesnt look like it to me), then I don't know if it will do anything to the worms.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shrimp will be ok with no planaria. I have usde it in the past. It will jack up any fancy snails you have in there like nerites, etc.. doesnt do anything to bladder snails, they seem bullet proof. Do the major water changes they say to do and remove any fancy snails while treating. It took around 6 months for my tank to be safe for my nerites again. Now, if those aren't planaria, (doesnt look like it to me), then I don't know if it will do anything to the worms.
I hope the no-planarian kill them.

·
Super Moderator
16,953 Posts
I think I will use no-planaria and remove them for good.
This is not necessary. You don't appear to have an issue with Planaria. There's no need to keep messing with your tank. Just let it settle and do its thing. You'll have more success if you just leave things alone for a while and have patience.

These are nematodes - detritus worms - and they're common in new tanks. Especially those that are using soil-based substrates. They'll disappear on their own in a short period of time as their food source dwindles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is not necessary. You don't appear to have an issue with Planaria. There's no need to keep messing with your tank. Just let it settle and do its thing. You'll have more success if you just leave things alone for a while and have patience.

These are nematodes - detritus worms - and they're common in new tanks. Especially those that are using soil-based substrates. They'll disappear on their own in a short period of time as their food source dwindles.
Agreed ^ don’t do anything about the worms. You’ll likely just stress your shrimp. The worms are harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed ^ don’t do anything about the worms. You’ll likely just stress your shrimp. The worms are harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A quick update I’m the worms problem:

So far the worms are harmless to the shrimps but they are a pain to my eyes. I clean the and each weekend and feed my shrimps just twice at week. My problem is that The worms multiply like crazy.
At the end I’m spending hours suck them out with the best kitchen tool I ever own.

the needle works awesome the 99% of the time to suck the worms. I’m using it to clean hard parts inside my aquarium sand.

I know this sucks but I prefer this that stress out my babies.

·
Super Moderator
16,953 Posts
That's honestly a great way to remove worms from a tank, @Aboy6! And a great tool to have for planted tanking in general.

If you ever find that you do have Planaria in your tank, you could always buy a trap for them. They're usually under US$20 and are pretty effective. That's an option I don't see mentioned much but it's always worked for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.