The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building my own fish tank and im not sure how to calculate yhe glass thickness so it will work . the glass will be 1/2 inch and the tank size im going for is 36x16x18 this is what im thinking ill need 2 36 inch long and 18 inches high (front and back) and 2 16 inch wide and 18 inch high (sides) and the bottom piece is the one im having teouble with what size should it be so the top and sides fit on top of it ??

Joey

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want the sides to sit on top of the base (which you don't), then the base would be 36x17. Really, you want the base to fit inside the sides, and actually raised up off the stand, so that the tank is actually sitting on the edges of the sides, rather than on the base glass. In this case, you want the base to be 35x16.
Draw it from above, including the thickness of the glass, and you'll have a clearer idea.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK ill have to give that some thought for it to be kinda simple it blows my mind . So what i should do it have the bottom fit inside the front back and sides
Joey

·
Registered
575 Posts
Look at any medium or large sized glass tank- you'll see what I mean. I'm building a 48x12x12 this way. If you build on top of the base glass, then any irregularity in the stand can cause the bottom glass to crack. Some of the smaller tanks are built on top of the base- I have a rimless 15 gallon built like this, and I have a piece of polystyrene foam between it and the stand. You can get away with it in a smaller lighter footprint, but not in a big tank. Good luck with the build, keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts