The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought guppies yesterday and a betta fish to add to my 5.5 gallon tank. The betta is doing amazing but it is a tiny bit aggressive so i put in a cup inside the tank so it can get used to living with guppies. But thats not the problem, most of the guppies are swimming at the top of the tank while others like to swim to the bottom and explore, the ones at the top have darker colors while the ones that swim around have nice colors, is this normal? And i dont think there is a lack of oxygen as i have a hang on back filter which keeps the surface moving and also some of the guppies slept at the bottom of the tank through the night and they are the ones that like to swim around.
Plant Window Branch Wood Vegetation

i bought guppies yesterday and a betta fish to add to my 5.5 gallon tank. The betta is doing amazing but it is a tiny bit aggressive so i put in a cup inside the tank so it can get used to living with guppies. But thats not the problem, most of the guppies are swimming at the top of the tank while others like to swim to the bottom and explore, the ones at the top have darker colors while the ones that swim around have nice colors, is this normal? And i dont think there is a lack of oxygen as i have a hang on back filter which keeps the surface moving and also some of the guppies slept at the bottom of the tank through the night and they are the ones that like to swim around.
Plant Window Branch Wood Vegetation
I was also thinking of adding a co2 airstone for my plants and then ill turn it off at night

I was also thinking of adding a co2 airstone for my plants and then ill turn it off at night
One of them just died and i have no idea why

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Sooo it sounds like you have some sick fish. If you see fish that you think is not behaving normally, chances are you are right. If you want the gold standard answer, then what 'should' happen is you quarantine all fish before introducing them. The quarantine tank should be a cycled aquarium and you should keep fish apart that were not together previously. Meaning if all the guppies were in a tank together at the store you quarantine them together and the betta in a separate tank.

The problem with that is it means you either need at least one separate tank that you either need to maintain constantly or have a way to quickly to set up when the need arises.

So assuming you don't have that laying around, what should you do now? Well if your current tank is cycled and you have no other cycled tanks then I'd leave everything in place and remove the dead fish once they pass on. If you are not familiar with the term cycled (not sure your knowledge in aquariums) then chances are your current tank is not cycled in which case, I'd just setup another container (large Tupperware, whatever) and put the sick fish in there. Aerate the water with a bubbler, add a plant to free float in there for what it's worth and do 100% water changes in there every day. If the fish are still alive in 2 weeks re-introduce them back to the other tank.

The other thing worth mentioning is that betta may never 'get used to' the guppies. Some bettas are more tolerant of tank mates then others and it would not be uncommon for your betta to be slightly murderous at baseline. Plus a 5.5 gallon tank for a betta plus guppies is pretty heavily stocked. So you may wish to rethink stocking anyway. Personally I don't keep more then a single betta in a 5.5 gallon tank.

Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooo it sounds like you have some sick fish. If you see fish that you think is not behaving normally, chances are you are right. If you want the gold standard answer, then what 'should' happen is you quarantine all fish before introducing them. The quarantine tank should be a cycled aquarium and you should keep fish apart that were not together previously. Meaning if all the guppies were in a tank together at the store you quarantine them together and the betta in a separate tank.

The problem with that is it means you either need at least one separate tank that you either need to maintain constantly or have a way to quickly to set up when the need arises.

So assuming you don't have that laying around, what should you do now? Well if your current tank is cycled and you have no other cycled tanks then I'd leave everything in place and remove the dead fish once they pass on. If you are not familiar with the term cycled (not sure your knowledge in aquariums) then chances are your current tank is not cycled in which case, I'd just setup another container (large Tupperware, whatever) and put the sick fish in there. Aerate the water with a bubbler, add a plant to free float in there for what it's worth and do 100% water changes in there every day. If the fish are still alive in 2 weeks re-introduce them back to the other tank.

The other thing worth mentioning is that betta may never 'get used to' the guppies. Some bettas are more tolerant of tank mates then others and it would not be uncommon for your betta to be slightly murderous at baseline. Plus a 5.5 gallon tank for a betta plus guppies is pretty heavily stocked. So you may wish to rethink stocking anyway. Personally I don't keep more then a single betta in a 5.5 gallon tank.

Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck!
Thank you so much, i have lost 2 fish until now, and i think more will die so thats why i got more than i need so ill be left with an amount that isnt overstocked. My tank is also cycled and i know this because my plants started growing and i tested the tank for 4 days with a pleco fish and the fish did great it was very energetic the whole but i ended up removing it because it produced so much waste, i cant afford a test kit at the moment. I dont have another tank to quarantine the fish and my betta is in a container inside the tank because it is still a bit aggressive, i put it the tank again from time to see if its still aggressive. Everything is doing fine now i think 2 more will die because they act like the ones that died this morning.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Thank you so much, i have lost 2 fish until now, and i think more will die so thats why i got more than i need so ill be left with an amount that isnt overstocked. My tank is also cycled and i know this because my plants started growing and i tested the tank for 4 days with a pleco fish and the fish did great it was very energetic the whole but i ended up removing it because it produced so much waste, i cant afford a test kit at the moment. I dont have another tank to quarantine the fish and my betta is in a container inside the tank because it is still a bit aggressive, i put it the tank again from time to see if its still aggressive. Everything is doing fine now i think 2 more will die because they act like the ones that died this morning.
Plants will grow regardless of cycle status. I mean the gold standard is going to be using a test kit because its the only way you can be sure. But if you can't afford it then theres not much to do there. I know in the USA most fish stores will happily test your water for you for free. Not sure about where you live. In the meantime I suggest plenty of water changes (one every 2 days as much as you can do) and hopefully that will keep the fish in as good a condition as possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We need more information to help properly. Do you have a water test kit? If you do, test the water immediately and post results on here so we can help determine what's happening in your tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plants will grow regardless of cycle status. I mean the gold standard is going to be using a test kit because its the only way you can be sure. But if you can't afford it then theres not much to do there. I know in the USA most fish stores will happily test your water for you for free. Not sure about where you live. In the meantime I suggest plenty of water changes (one every 2 days as much as you can do) and hopefully that will keep the fish in as good a condition as possible. Good luck.
Im pretty sure the tank is cycled anyway because i bought a pleco to see if it will live and it did for 4 days with no water changes the pleco was in great condition but i ended up giving it back to the fish store as it produces too much waste and my tank wont keep up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im pretty sure the tank is cycled anyway because i bought a pleco to see if it will live and it did for 4 days with no water changes the pleco was in great condition but i ended up giving it back to the fish store as it produces too much waste and my tank wont keep up
One more thing all of the guppies except for one started swimming all around the tank and their colors are starting to show, there is one that im pretty sure is sick and it will die sooner or later

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to
This means nothing. A small amount of hardy fish in uncycled tank is actually the old traditional way of cycling.
This means nothing. A small amount of hardy fish in uncycled tank is actually the old traditional way of cycling.
I forgot to mention that i added nitrifying bacteria anyways like over a week ago

·
Registered
367 Posts
I forgot to

I forgot to mention that i added nitrifying bacteria anyways like over a week ago

You are very likely not cycled if you added bacteria a week ago. Particularly if you didn’t feed the bacteria, which I assume you didn’t if you didn’t specifically mention it.

For reference, I have an FX6 canister filter cycling in my basement. It’s been going for four weeks, using a complete piece of used sponge AND a couple hundred K1 from another active filter, and it is just now completely consuming 4ppm/day ammonia.

I would recommend taking your fish back to the LFS until you can properly cycle (verified) your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would Not start co2 until you figure this out. You're just adding another variable to the problem.
Things arent doing to great, the 5 guppies i have are doing fine and are very active, but the betta died suddenly. I came back from the gym and the betta was swimming normally no problem but then after like 5 or 10 mins i found it dead on the aquarium substrate. I have no idea how it happened and i dont think it's ammonia as all the other fish are still very active. My only suspicion would be out of stress or it was sick in the first place but i dont think thats the case. These are the last photos i took of the betta.
Plant Wood Organism Terrestrial plant Trunk

Plant Wood Organism Terrestrial plant Trunk

You are very likely not cycled if you added bacteria a week ago. Particularly if you didn’t feed the bacteria, which I assume you didn’t if you didn’t specifically mention it.

For reference, I have an FX6 canister filter cycling in my basement. It’s been going for four weeks, using a complete piece of used sponge AND a couple hundred K1 from another active filter, and it is just now completely consuming 4ppm/day ammonia.

I would recommend taking your fish back to the LFS until you can properly cycle (verified) your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did add fish food and let it rot i also added a pleco when i added the bacteria

1 - 12 of 12 Posts