The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Hi @kizwan,

Based upon the body shape and the dark edged scales I suspect a barb (Puntius) but it does not appear to be one of the more common species.
-Roy

·
Registered
885 Posts
I wouldn't put money down on it, but it looks a lot like a shiner. There are some with a black spot on the tail like that, but without a better picture it's hard to say either way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pictures. Sorry, this is the best I can do. It does enjoy blanched zucchini though.

IMG_20210110_114319_1610250295688.jpg

IMG_20210110_114250_1610250308707.jpg

IMG_20210110_114602_1610250376033.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like TOR species to me. Its a carp and will grow a couple of feet long. Its not suited for a planted tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm pretty certain that it is Crossocheilus reticulatus, mainly from the Mekong drainage. The fish grows to at least 5-6" TL and is an omnivore & not a very helpful consumer of algae. It usually arrives as a contaminant w/ Siamese algae eaters & Flying foxes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a couple too- very nice silver in the right light. Sold at Big Al's as a algae eater. Kind of like a red tailed shark with barbells at the mouth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is a Crossocheilus reticulatus aka Silver Flying Fox. They are awesome BBA eaters BUT they REALLY like most fancy mosses too.

I’m now using Crossocheilus siamensis to see if they are less prone to eating mosses.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much guys! I think it is Crossocheilus reticulatus (silver flying fox). They do love blanched zucchini & I did noticed them grazing on the leaves. The tank they are in already recovered from BBA. I have another tank that have BBA but I already bleach dip the plants in that tank.

I originally have 6 but lost 3 from jumping. I just added another 5 to avoid aggression among them & put a lid on the tank as well. I feed them hikari micro pellets which contains 43% protein but it contain spirulina as well. Is this food OK? I just read that I need to avoid meaty food & look for spirulina based food. I don't know whether 43% considered meaty or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They do jump- I lost one too. Two left that argue alot. Grow like weeds mine are 4in long I guess on their way to 6in.

BTW what eats hair algae- that is what I was sold them for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They do jump- I lost one too. Two left that argue alot. Grow like weeds mine are 4in long I guess on their way to 6in.

BTW what eats hair algae- that is what I was sold them for.
Hair algae - siamese algae eater, nerite snails, amano shrimps, cherry shrimps, crystal red shrimps, ghost shrimps, feeder shrimps (at my place or in my country this will be thailand ghost shrimps).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hair algae - siamese algae eater, nerite snails, amano shrimps, cherry shrimps, crystal red shrimps, ghost shrimps, feeder shrimps (at my place or in my country this will be thailand ghost shrimps).
Will shrimp be ok with these fish?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I keep them with Amanos Ann’s they are not a problem.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will shrimp be ok with these fish?
I read the silver flying fox eat dwarf shrimps.

I keep mine with feeder shrimps (2 x Thailand ghost shrimp). They didn't bother the shrimps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts