The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I keep reading many good things about Finnex, and I think I am ready to get one of these nice looking fixtures for my tank. I have a 37 gallon tank, which is 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 20 inches deep.

If I want to stay with a low-tech setup, which LED fixture would I have to look into?

My other question is, if I want to go high tech, which LED fixture do I look into?

I am still undecided as to if I should go low tech or high tech, and would like to know more about these fixtures, and I'd appreciate some advise. Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Okay, so I keep reading many good things about Finnex, and I think I am ready to get one of these nice looking fixtures for my tank. I have a 37 gallon tank, which is 30 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 20 inches deep.

If I want to stay with a low-tech setup, which LED fixture would I have to look into?

My other question is, if I want to go high tech, which LED fixture do I look into?

I am still undecided as to if I should go low tech or high tech, and would like to know more about these fixtures, and I'd appreciate some advise. Thanks! :smile:
I have a 20H with two Planted+'s Its been growing algae like crazy. the 20H is 16inches tall so maybe you could get a Ray2 and Planted+ combo.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 20H with two Planted+'s Its been growing algae like crazy. the 20H is 16inches tall so maybe you could get a Ray2 and Planted+ combo.
So how could I determine with the Ray fixtures which ones would be high light, or low light? When it comes to LEDs, what should a person usually have to look for? Thanks for your reply. :icon_smil

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 24 inch Planted+ on my 20g and it works great. No algae, clear water. I have water sprite that grows like a weed so I think that and a 200gph canister helps.

So how could I determine with the Ray fixtures which ones would be high light, or low light? When it comes to LEDs, what should a person usually have to look for? Thanks for your reply. :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If your going for low light/low tech setup id go with the fugeray, you could also go with the fugeray planted plus since your tank is fairly high but you might get some algae as others have stated, it puts out a fair bit of light, id say med to high light depending on how tall the tank is. For really high light id go with finnex ray 2.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ray2 + Planted+ will result in more algae than 2 Planted+

I'd recommend 1 Planted+, should put you at a good low/med PAR

Ray2 will be high light, I am still finding the right balance for my Ray2 on my 20Long

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I run a Finnex P+ on my 20 tall. Easy to manage and plenty of light to be squarely in the med range. No need for CO2 and only light ferts.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I also use a 24" Fugeray Planted+ on a 20g high aquarium. It has helped my mosses fill in very nicely. No co2, no algae, PPS-Pro dosing.

A RAY II will provide more light and not likely what you are after.

The same aquarium ran a 24-36" Satellite LED+ but the light was dimmer even at its highest setting than a 24" Fugeray (non-Planted+).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 29g with a 30" Planted+ its been running for about 6 weeks now I leave it on 8-10 hours a day NO CO2 and the plants are growing beautifully, no issues with algae either........ fingers crossed. You cannot go wrong with this fixture.

It sits 18 inches on the glass top of my tank! I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 29g with a 30" Planted+ its been running for about 6 weeks now I leave it on 8-10 hours a day NO CO2 and the plants are growing beautifully, no issues with algae either........ fingers crossed. You cannot go wrong with this fixture.

It sits 18 inches on the glass top of my tank! I LOVE IT!
What plants are you growing? I'm glad that you're getting results. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts