The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

In the mail today came my new Aquatek Deluxe regulator with an integrated solenoid :D

In the box also came the correct adapter (also from Aquatek) to connect the CGA320 threads of the regulator with the paintball tank threads :D:D

I am so STOKED!!! after lots of errors with mismatched parts, I will finally have a system!!!

Ok, so I've read all the warnings about connecting this stuff together and the dangers that can happen, but maybe it's simpler than I think.

What I don't know is what is the order (step-by-step) of connecting these three parts?

Without the adapter, the CGA320 fitting (on the back of the regulator) spins around, presumably to tighten the regulator without having to rotate the regulator around the tank. With the adapter threaded in to the CGA320 fitting, the fitting is locked down, so I would have to rotate it around the tank to connect it. Somehow this doesn't seem correct?

ok, so once the above question gets answered, then as I understand the instruction, I simply make sure the "working working pressure nut" is closed by turning it all the way to the right, and then I can screw the regulator (with the adapter attached) onto the paintball tank. Again, with the adapter in place the regulator would have to be rotated around the tank.

I'm probably missing other important steps, but with all those warnings, I don't want to mess things up!

so can someone give me some step-by-step instructions to answer these questions?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Todd

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you have a washer like this between the adapter and CGA-320 fitting. Tighten it down firmly, but not too much. At this point, you are correct, you will have to spin the paintball tank to thread it onto the adapter. The washer is critical.

Also, before you connect the paintball tank, the pressure control must be turned fully COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it's pretty loose. It's not like a water spigot where you turn it clockwise to shut it off.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Like riding a bike? Once done you will be relieved to see it is not at all hard. Turning reg around the tank or turning tank is the same but you will find turning the tank is easy once the threads are started. One thing might be about to jump up and scare you half to death and it is not a biggie but sounds bad. At some point, there may be some hissing and gas leak out. After reading the warnings, this sounds real bad but it is not. You do need to stop any leaks and don't stand and let it blow on your skin. It is cold but most of us will move before our skin freezes. The gas is not poison and it doesn't explode. So you might get a scare but it is not a real hazard, just to set your nerves on fire!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure you have a washer like this between the adapter and CGA-320 fitting. Tighten it down firmly, but not too much. At this point, you are correct, you will have to spin the paintball tank to thread it onto the adapter. The washer is critical.
Doc, there is a clear plastic washer inside the brass fitting of the regulator. BUT a plastic washer did NOT come with the adapter. With the parts I have, there will not be a washer between the adapter and the paintball tank. Is this the correct way do to it? I could wrap the paintball tank's threads with teflon plumbers tape? Would that be good?

Rich, thanks much for your encouragement!

Todd

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, before you connect the paintball tank, the pressure control must be turned fully COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it's pretty loose. It's not like a water spigot where you turn it clockwise to shut it off.
You're certain about this??? Is it this way for all Aquatek regultaors?

I unscrewed it counter-clockwise and the knob came off in my hand! Is the valve made such that when the bolt inside the knob is screwed in that opens the valve's passage way?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You're certain about this??? Is it this way for all Aquatek regultaors?

I unscrewed it counter-clockwise and the knob came off in my hand! Is the valve made such that when the bolt inside the knob is screwed in that opens the valve's passage way?
Yes, the knob is even labelled: counter clockwise = lower pressure. You just need to unscrew it until it turns more loosely, so there is no more tension on the spring inside the regulator. If the knob came off, you went too far.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, here we go...

what about check valves? is there one built into the regulator? Buying the Deluxe version I would think it would have one built in. either way, should I have another check-valve in the system?

not even a hiss :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so now if I tighten the big knob (turning it clockwise) CO2 should come out the Dispensing fitting, right? or do I need to turn the flow adjustment one way or the other first (before turning the big knob clockwise)?

I really do appreciate your help!!!

Todd

·
Registered
81 Posts
Turn the flow adjustment down, but let go once you feel it's at its limit. Then turn the pressure control to get ~20psi working pressure (I assume you're using a ceramic diffuser) and open the flow control to your desired rate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well it just went off! all of a sudden!!

CO2 gas blowing all over the place!

If I tighten down the adapter-regulator assembly onto the tank CO2 comes out, if I loosen up the assembly no CO2 comes out

what went wrong?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure all connections are tight (just use an adjustable wrench but do NOT crank it down). The paintball tank will usually let some gas out when you're screwing it in but it should seal via its o-ring once it's in place. Make sure your seal is good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got it stopped, it was very COLD and wet! I don't know how much CO2 I lost?

but I started over again following your directions and it's all connected again (haven't turned the flow adjustment knob yet).

with the big "working pressure knob" turned all the way count-clockwise the left guage, the "tank capacity gauge" says about 600psi and the right gaige the "working pressure gauge" says about 95psi

·
Registered
74 Posts
On the top of you paintball tank make sure that the rubber or plastic o ring is intact. With my old regulator I had difficulty with it blowing all over before I realized that the o ring on the tank was cracked. As mentioned, when properly connected it will let a little bit out when the pin in the adapter comes in contact with the pin on the tank.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the top of you paintball tank make sure that the rubber or plastic o ring is intact.
to be honest, I don't remember if there was a rubber/plastic o-ring/washer or not. If there was one it wasn't on the top of the tank, maybe just below the tank's threads? I know there wasn't one inside the adapter.

right now I kinda think I should leave well enough alone with the marriage of these two and not take it apart to see, but I could if I really should...

what do the gauge readings mean? are they saying I lost a bunch of CO2?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good morning Doc,

That is exactly my regulator. I just got it last night from Aquatek earlier last night

I had had the tank filled at a Academy Sports about two weeks ago anxiously awaiting the regulator's arrival.

I'm guessing everything is low, because when it went off I didn't know what to do so I stood back and thought about what I shoukld do and a lot (a whole lot) of CO2 went all over the place, making a wet cold mess. First time out of the gate and bad things happened :(

To stop the leaking/spraying CO2 what I did was to loosen the big knob on the regulator, and rotate the tank around the adapter/CGA320 assemble relative to the regulator, I guess somehow it came loose???

That makes me think that after connecting the the blue adapter into the regulator's CGA320 fitting that it wasn't tightened enough? so I'm guessing that the blue adapter/CGA320 assembly fittings were sealed atop the tank, but because the adapter/CGA320 tank assemble could turn relative to the regultaor that's where it was leaking/spraying from???

Does that make sense?

So do you think I should go back to Academy Sports and have them refill it? Or do you think I should assemble all the other parts (bubble counter, check vave, ceramic diffuser) and see if I run into other problems first?

again THANKS SO MUCH for your help!!! obviously I really need it!!!

Todd

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.