The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,734 Posts
Virtually any restaurant that you've ever been to has a soda fountain. Which means they have CO2 cylinders. Stop by a small cafe or diner, order something, and ask the man/woman behind the counter who they get their CO2 from.

Or just google "welding supply" or "gas supply". When I google "gas supply topeka" I get a list, starting with AirGas.

Or, like cawolf suggests, call your local brewing supply store and ask what they suggest. This may well be the best bet, as they probably know exactly where the cheapest CO2 is.

·
Plant Clown
4,734 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to swap out a cylinder? Those places that swap them also sell them. And one will take another's cylinder, so you can buy at the shop with the cheapest retail price (or online), and swap at the shop with the cheapest swap price.

Also, if you want to use a single cylinder on multiple tanks, you just need a tee or cross and a needle valve for each tank. The needle valves on that second link are likely the same type you currently have? They're garbage. Don't do that.

·
Plant Clown
4,734 Posts
You didn't answer the question I and a couple others asked: Do you have a particular reason that you don't want to swap out cylinders?

I wonder if the issue here is terminology. In this case, "swap", "exchange", and "trade out" all mean the same thing: Once you have a cylinder, regardless of where you got it from, most welding and gas supply shops will trade you a full tank for your empty one for a small fee. The common sizes are 5, 10, 20, and 50 lbs. for a small-to-mid-size aquarium, a 5lb cylinder will last you a minimum of 3-4 months, assuming your system has no leaks.

So, what we're suggesting is that you buy the cheapest cylinder of whatever size you can find, and then take it to AirGas, or somewhere else that exchanges tanks, and pay the $10 or $20 to trade your empty cylinder for a full one.

...looking back through your posts again, maybe in talking about a "really nice system", you were including a shiny CO2 cylinder, and want to keep that specific one? If so, I begin to understand your dilemma ...though I think shiny CO2 cylinders are overrated, given that (in my experience - that is, in my city) it's more expensive to refill than to swap out.

And one more thought, regarding what Kathyy said about a nice cover for an ugly cylinder: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/166664-sick-your-ugly-co2-cylinder.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts