The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a co2 system (pretty simple) that I have been using for a while. I now want to setup a couple more high tech tanks. I want to have a really nice co2 setup that will allow multiple tanks to be connected. I have been looking at some of the setups at green leaf aquariums. Does anybody have any of there stuff? I am looking at - http://greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/primo-co2-system.html -

Are there any other setups that you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what are you looking for specifically? I take money orders.
Well it looks like I will have to stick with paintball tanks because I have spent 5 hours on yellow pages trying to find a place to refill a tank and I can't find one. I called literally 15 places and they had no idea what I was talking about (I asked if they refilled co2, is that uncommon?) or only swapped. I will probably just get a dozen 20oz and get them refilled a lot. Why is it so hard to GET CO2!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Yea, try the welding shops. They usually refill or exchange. You can also go into airgas website and see what the closest location is to you.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Virtually any restaurant that you've ever been to has a soda fountain. Which means they have CO2 cylinders. Stop by a small cafe or diner, order something, and ask the man/woman behind the counter who they get their CO2 from.

Or just google "welding supply" or "gas supply". When I google "gas supply topeka" I get a list, starting with AirGas.

Or, like cawolf suggests, call your local brewing supply store and ask what they suggest. This may well be the best bet, as they probably know exactly where the cheapest CO2 is.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called many welding shops and they always say "exchange only". It feels like people are trying to hide co2 from me. I really don't want to drive 1-2 hours to get gas 2-3 times a year. Not to mention if I get a leak which I have been dealing with lately I will waste $$$ on co2 and gas having to drive and get it. I would probably save money if I packed up and moved somewhere where I can actually find co2 without having to jump through so many hoops.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to swap out a cylinder? Those places that swap them also sell them. And one will take another's cylinder, so you can buy at the shop with the cheapest retail price (or online), and swap at the shop with the cheapest swap price.

Also, if you want to use a single cylinder on multiple tanks, you just need a tee or cross and a needle valve for each tank. The needle valves on that second link are likely the same type you currently have? They're garbage. Don't do that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is no issues with exchanging. The welding shops are not going to give you faulty equipment. I like to find old tanks that are steel for free around town and take them to Airgas. Airgas will exchange the tank with an newer aluminum tank and only charge me for the gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Exchange is always an option. Just find/buy a used tank from someone. Then just take it in, get a full one, when empty exchange for another full one.

Air gas has a lease/exchange program. So much per year for the lease and then so much per exchange.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an idea but I don't know if it could work. Here it is.

1. Buy 2 cylinders.
2. Take 1 cylinder to swap for a filled one.
3. This is where I don't know how it will work.

*Transfer gas from used swapped tank.

I don't know if this is even possible or what it would take to make it happen.

Some of the reasons I don't want used tanks.

1. I don't have a stand. (it will be out in the open)
2. I have some OCD. (I obsess over used things)
3. I like to know what has been done with it.

If it happens that I can't find a place to fill it, I will just have to swap out. I guess that could be therapeutic.:icon_roll

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My Airgas will refill but the tank is sent out and it takes a couple days.

You might get a pretty exchange tank. My Airgas tanks have been getting prettier as the years pass. More aquatic hobbyist's whining about ugly CO2 cylinders???

Tanks are tested every 5 years for soundness, don't be concerned with exchange tank soundness.

You can make some sort of cover for your exposed tank. Tube of fabric that isn't too annoying, tie or elastic in the top and done.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All right I have called a couple more places and they won't let me even tag me tank and wait for it to be shipped back. There is a place that will trade 5,20,50 pound tanks. They said a 20 pound would be $22 to fill it up. I guess I am just going to have to settle. Would you get a 5 pound or a 20? I forgot to ask how much a 5 pound cost's to refill.

5 pound $70 - refill $?
20 pound $130 - refill $22

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
You didn't answer the question I and a couple others asked: Do you have a particular reason that you don't want to swap out cylinders?

I wonder if the issue here is terminology. In this case, "swap", "exchange", and "trade out" all mean the same thing: Once you have a cylinder, regardless of where you got it from, most welding and gas supply shops will trade you a full tank for your empty one for a small fee. The common sizes are 5, 10, 20, and 50 lbs. for a small-to-mid-size aquarium, a 5lb cylinder will last you a minimum of 3-4 months, assuming your system has no leaks.

So, what we're suggesting is that you buy the cheapest cylinder of whatever size you can find, and then take it to AirGas, or somewhere else that exchanges tanks, and pay the $10 or $20 to trade your empty cylinder for a full one.

...looking back through your posts again, maybe in talking about a "really nice system", you were including a shiny CO2 cylinder, and want to keep that specific one? If so, I begin to understand your dilemma ...though I think shiny CO2 cylinders are overrated, given that (in my experience - that is, in my city) it's more expensive to refill than to swap out.

And one more thought, regarding what Kathyy said about a nice cover for an ugly cylinder: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/166664-sick-your-ugly-co2-cylinder.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts