The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon low tech dirted tank, and I would like to carpet my tank. I know that Dwarf Sag and Hair Grass are good for carpets. Are there any other plants that you would advise for me to use for a carpet? I want a plant that wont grow too tall, and one that would make a nice carpet. Here is a picture of my tank. I would like to cover all of my gravel. :help:

·
Registered
403 Posts
In my 5.5 my "dwarf" sag in my NPT got HUGE.. when I say huge I mean HUGE. The leaves went to the top. I thought I had vals for a moment LOL.

Anywho, for a shorter (2-3 inches maybe?) I'd suggest chain swords.. I have that in my 55 and does well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In .my 5.5 my "dwarf" sag in my NPT got HUGE.. when I say huge I mean HUGE. The leaves went to the top. I thought I had vals for a moment LOL.

Anywho, for a shorter (2-3 inches maybe?) I'd suggest chain swords.. I have that in my 55 and does well.
lol, how big does the dwarf sag get? Do you ever trim it short? What grows taller,
Dwarf sag or microswords?

·
Registered
UNS 90U - 21 gallon low-boy
163 Posts
Carpets are difficult to create if you don't have the right conditions. What type of equipment do you have? CO2?

In a 10 gallon, you will need really small plants to create proper perspective and proportion. Glossostigma may work but also Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba".

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't add co2 to my tank. I have 2x 13 watt cfl bulbs. I have dirt underneath my gravel.

Carpets are difficult to create if you don't have the right conditions. What type of equipment do you have? CO2?

In a 10 gallon, you will need really small plants to create proper perspective and proportion. Glossostigma may work but also Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba".

·
Registered
70 Posts
You really can't go with any other carpets besides those two. I would look into DHG ( Eleocharis parvula or Dwarf hairgrass ), it's typically shorter than the standard HG ( Eleocharis sp. ). The only problem is it likes to curve which could set off your over-compulsive disorder; well if you have one like me haha.

Maintenance is actually very easy on DHG even in a high tech environment. All you really need is sufficient amount of light and nutrients (which eco-complete is a great choice on substrate :proud:). DHG will probably be a slow grower, but you could speed things up a bit with dosing Excel every few days (1-2 hours before lights come on).

You could also look into Staurogyne repen. Though this is a foreground/midground plant - you would have to learn to trim shoots to promote creeping growth. It does require a bit of Co2 though, but not as heavy as HC (baby tears), Glosso, or UG.

·
Registered
453 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=596162&highlight=

I had this very same question and some more experienced members were kind enough to give me a very comprehensive list, check it out, I personally like HC but it requires a little more high tech set up, but go to the link and look at the list, there are some good micro swords and things on there too, with a little research you can find the perfect fit for your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't add co2 to my tank. I have 2x 13 watt cfl bulbs. I have dirt underneath my gravel.

P.S. Nice start on your tank, it's looking good, and your definitely in the right place to get headed in the right direction...this forum has helped me unendingly in the few weeks I've been a member!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would say go glosso bro it's really nice , but it can grow on mid low tech it ll take some time unless u can buy a good amt n can cover the whole tank within 1 inch apart.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm doing a Staurogyne Repens Carpet in my 29 gal low/mid tech as @AquascapeDepot suggested, I think that looks nice and isn't awfully demanding IMO

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You really can't go with any other carpets besides those two. I would look into DHG ( Eleocharis parvula or Dwarf hairgrass ), it's typically shorter than the standard HG ( Eleocharis sp. ). The only problem is it likes to curve which could set off your over-compulsive disorder; well if you have one like me haha.

Maintenance is actually very easy on DHG even in a high tech environment. All you really need is sufficient amount of light and nutrients (which eco-complete is a great choice on substrate :proud:). DHG will probably be a slow grower, but you could speed things up a bit with dosing Excel every few days (1-2 hours before lights come on).

You could also look into Staurogyne repen. Though this is a foreground/midground plant - you would have to learn to trim shoots to promote creeping growth. It does require a bit of Co2 though, but not as heavy as HC (baby tears), Glosso, or UG.
LOL, I do have OCD. When I planted my Ludwigia Repens, I did it without the tweezers, but because it looked a bit slanted, it drove me crazy, haha.
I want to grow my plants as slow as possible because on June I'll be gone to Australia for a month and I won't be able to do any tank maintenance, which is the reason why I went for a dirted setup so I don't have to worry ab out my sister adding ferts to my tank. Will Dwarf Hair Grass grow well in a dirted tank, without Excel, Diy Co2? As far as my lights go, I am using 2x13 watt CFL, and I'm hoping that's not too much light. My tank is a 10 gallon, and I plan on keeping 6x Neon Tetras, and 3 Amano Shrimps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If your lights are on a timer which if they aren't I would suggest, but I'm sure they are, I would lower your photo period a wee bit while your gone.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
As far as my lights go, I am using 2x13 watt CFL, and I'm hoping that's not too much light. My tank is a 10 gallon, and I plan on keeping 6x Neon Tetras, and 3 Amano Shrimps.
Depending on the reflector behind your bulbs, that *could* be a lot of light for a non-CO2 tank.

I'd put your light on a timer and run it no more than 4 hours a day while you're gone.

I personally have never had luck with any of the Eleocharis species for very long in any non-CO2 setup (I love them, I've tried quite a few times *sigh*) HOWEVER, you might look at Lilaeopsis mauritiana for a similar look? It's the most grass-like carpet plant I've found so far that will thrive even in non-CO2 setups. The tanks on the far left and far right in my signature are both carpeted with L. mauritiana.

·
Registered
453 Posts
+1^^ I looked and thought that was an awful lot of light for low co2, but I'm just a whipper snapper when it comes to these things

1 - 20 of 25 Posts