The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lovelovelove these little guys....I bought a trio as an impulse buy several months ago without knowing anything about them. lost one and ended up with a pair. Now I've expanded to three males and four females. Two of the males are sub adults, and get harassed constantly by the Huge adult male. He dominates feeding time, and making sure the little guys get fed involves a little strategy. My question is this...When they catch up in size, or if I add more females... will they leave eachother alone? or is this sort of relationship just the nature of keeping a school of threadfins? Amusing as it is, I'm a tad concerned about their stress level.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Threadfins

Sounds like the norm for these guys I would't worry they are always displaying & "competing" n the largest ones seem to have odd days where they stake out a certain area in the tank n run off everything aggressively, even with a higher ratio of females they still do it. I've only kep't rainbows in my planted tanks but I'm guessing this maybe is common with other species n it's fish just being fish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, anybody have any suggestions for really cool not so common community fish that will do well with them?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There's safety in numbers. I have 4 male and 3 female threadfins. No losses after a month. The males occassionally display to each other - that was the plan behind the 4M to 3F ratio. No sigh of a bully, and they really get along fine. All were the same size though.

As for a partner fish. Take alook at the Rummynose tetra. They are great fish, school really well together and leave the threadfins alone. They occupy the lower half of the aquarium while the threads are usually in the top half.

AB

·
Registered
269 Posts
What size is your tank? I would stay away from anything large as they will not mix well with the little rainbows. If your tank is small I would just keep it as a species tank and you will have some chance of finding threadfin fry. If your tank is 15 gallons or larger then maybe you could add some other small schooling fish or some pygmy corys.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'd say Black neons would compliment eachother.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There are also some other very small rainbows that are not very common. Check out Pseudomugil signifer and P. gertrudae. Hard to find at LFS, but readily available on aquabid. Celestial Pearl Danios would also be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts