The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lights were knocked into my tank the other day by my cat. :icon_roll

I called AH Supply but they won't sell parts except for their own replacement parts.

I don't know enough about ballast to know what to get. I did a search but don't understand enough about them.

I need a 55 watt electronic ballast for a CF. Its out of a JBJ Formosa JG3. I contacted the manufacturer but they want $55.00 plus shipping. I thought this was a little high, don't you?

Do you all know where I could find one cheaper? I think it has 4 wires coming out of one end and two out of the other end. Its about 6 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch tall. I can take it out and get all the correct data that one needs if you can help me.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for your help.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Good place to start would be here: http://www.fulham.com/Find_Process.php

Enter "Twin" for bulb type, then the wattage, and you get a ballast suggestion and a wiring diagram. Then you can google your heart out for the best source of the ballast.

Alternatively, check the usual lighting places, like Hellolights, DIYreef etc etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By using that link it took me to a wiring diagram but not a ballast to search for or cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you gotten the old ballast out? Chances are, JBJ is not the manfacturer of the original ballast. If you get the manufacturer and part no. you might be able to get it through another source. Hopefully, they didn't relabel it.

--
Don

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I guess I am just ignorant when it comes to ballasts. I did what I thought Wasserpest suggested and only seen a diagram. I really don't know what I am doing concidering looking for a ballast. I have changed one once before. Wiring it was easy just following the wires, but trying to find another one.... hmmmm

I'll try pulling it out tomorrow and see what it says on the label.
Do you think I could make a big savings buying it else where? It is $55.00 from JBJ plus shipping.

Joe

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

You have been a big help. I will pull out the old one and make sure things match up.

Thanks again.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts