The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I have just updated the Fruitcake page in my Guide. The new part is the formula I used this year to bake a lighter colored fruit cake. I literally have people calling and begging for more. So far I have made three batches of this mix this year.

I have not even had a chance to age any of it for more than a week or two.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Question:

What does fruitcake even taste like? I saw some in the store and said "hey, mom, there's this guy I know, he makes the stuff, it's supposed to be good"

She told me it is horrible. I've never tried it.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Question:

What does fruitcake even taste like? I saw some in the store and said "hey, mom, there's this guy I know, he makes the stuff, it's supposed to be good"

She told me it is horrible. I've never tried it.
lol...
It makes a great door stop or a boat anchor... I hate the stuff,, yuck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Honestly I didn't realize that people actually ate it. I've always seen the paper weight and door stop jokes but, never seen anyone really eat it. In fact someone tried to force some on to me, nearly ended up with violence.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey rex how abouut you include a sample of fruit cake in your shipments?it would help people around the world change theyre view of fruitcake.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I know a few of them~ lol

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many people have only had the commercial fruit cake. And I won't touch that stuff either. If you look at what's in it you will know why. It's full of candied fruit. My thing is I won't put anything in my fruit cake that I would not eat fresh.

The batter is basically a pound cake batter made with brown sugar. So think of a rich tan pound cake with rum and lots of really good fruit and nuts in it. That's what my fruit cake is.

People who have never had a good fruit cake and say they hate the stuff don't know what they are missing.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What Rex said :). Commercial fruitcake cannot compare with homemade at all. It's the difference between a cup of the cheapest, nastiest instant coffee you can think of and a freshly ground, freshly brewed, gourmet blend. Or pick the analogy of your choice ;).

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
commercial is gross...flat out gross. If you hate someone, give them one of those weapons with that nasty candied fruit...
I checked out Rex's recipe....vastly different mmmmm

·
Registered
773 Posts
Once I had a piece of DELICIOUS fruitcake, but I thought it was a fluke, because every piece I've had before than and since then has been god aweful. It's like they add ant spray as the secret ingredient.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have never tasted a fruitcake I didn't like. I could gorge myself on them. Somehow, knowing Rex makes fruitcakes seems just so right!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Personally, I'm still trying to adjust to the thought of Rex showing a sign of affection! Is there really a big, cuddly, teddy bear hiding in there :biggrin: ?

Brian.

·
Registered
270 Posts
commercial is gross...flat out gross. If you hate someone, give them one of those weapons with that nasty candied fruit...
I checked out Rex's recipe....vastly different mmmmm
But then aren't we just arming the enemy? I'd hate to show up at the hospital and have to explain how and why I got hit in the head with a 10lb cake wrapped in cheap plastic, lol.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
What Rex said :). Commercial fruitcake cannot compare with homemade at all. It's the difference between a cup of the cheapest, nastiest instant coffee you can think of and a freshly ground, freshly brewed, gourmet blend. Or pick the analogy of your choice ;).
Yeah, I agree my mom makes some great fruit cake. And i'm not a big Fruitcake person!

So Rex, When do they go on sale?

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've had fruit cake before, but didn't really care for it. It may have been the commercial kind, I don't know. I didn't really care for it though.
I was watching a cooking show (go ahead and laugh) the other day called "Everyday Italian" and she was basically saying how every fruit cake she's ever had was dry and not very good, but the recipe was for a real tasty one. I haven't tried it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts