The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have 6 young guppies in my ten gallon tank, i have my betta in a 3 gallon because i was waiting for my guppies to grow enough. i just moved my precious betta into the guppies tank and he LOVES it! its the most active i've seen him, but for the guppies, the are very freaked out, the stay at the top of the tank a lot. their eyes are almost always black, and the dont eat much any more. i moved my betta in on friday jan 29. I actually think he ate 1 of the two smaller of the guppies, he has been missing for 2 days now, and we have moved the decores too. he is just not there. so far he has stayed away from the others, but i dont know if its a good idea to move the guppies into my 3 gallon until they grow more (because my betta absolutely loves the 10g) or doi wait and see if anything else happens. i also dont want the guppies to be freaked out. ahhh what do i do?

Registered
The easiest solution is to buy more tanks :)

Neither bettas no guppies should be kept in a 3 gallon, 10 gallon is definitely better. Some bettas are friendly, others are little murder machines. If this was an adult guppy (not fry) that the betta ate, then you probably have one of the murdering bettas. All of my bettas have certainly been of this temperament.

Anyway separation is the best policy.

Registered
Definitely separate - keep the betta in the 10gal and get a 20gal for the guppies. Use the 3gal for shrimp or snails, it's not really big enough for fish.

It's also worth looking into your water parameters, specifically hardness. Bettas are soft water fish, guppies are hard water, and there is no overlap in necessary parameters for the two. You'll find that your water likely suits one and not the other, so you may want to return/rehome the unsuitable fish anyway. Alternatively, you can mix your water with RO or buffer the water to suit, but you won't be able to meet both species' needs in the same tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.