The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I set up a new 10g with tap water today and forgot to add the chlorine remover. The Betta was in there for about four hours and stopped moving around much. I quickly added the chlorine remover. Ooops. I hope he lives. I've done this before with bad results. Usually kills the fish. I hope I have accrued enough points in the hobby that he lives. :iamwithst

It's been a couple of hours now, and he is looking much better. Maybe I just barely saved him.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry about your fish.
Accidents happen, learn from them and move on.
I recently got a congo tetra stuck in my siphon tube while I wasn't paying attention, before that I accidentally poured a fish down the drain.

Both died poorly :-(

·
Registered
226 Posts
We just moved and at some point while I was at work my husband transferred my fish into buckets and then back into the tank at the new house. The female of a pair of currently unobtainable fish apparently jumped out at some point unnoticed. He didn't know she was gone until a day or two later and the dog had her. :( He feels awful and I love him (a little bit) more than my fish so I've let it go.

It sounds like you probably got things sorted out quickly enough. I hope you did, but if not, things happen.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I already caught 30 new fry during my first cup of coffee for the morning, to replace the lost fish.
I think they are orange swordtails... I have a jumbo birth tank with all my females in, so it can be dicey sometimes determining the mothers unless you see them give birth, or notice them being skinny suddenly.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's Still ALIVE! Much more active today. So if I don't add any more stress to him he's probably on the mend. Although, Chlorine does burn those gills. He may have lost some time on this Earth. Betta's are hardy fish, and since they use those gills for peeing more than breathing (Labyrinth Breathers for those who don't know), I'm hopeful. This mistake probably would have killed my tetras. Getting that chlorine remover in that tank four hours after the fact was all I could do. Now, on to trying not to kill more fish.0:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So when you add the Prime or what ever Chlorine remover is the action instant?? I have searched my bottle and it doesn't say.
Also, can you add too much? I have a really small (15 gallon) tank and I know I most likely error in adding too much.
@AWolf In my early days of keeping fish I had an oscar that just kept outgrowing his tank. He had been in my classroom for many a while but I finally took him home to live with my in my apartment. One afternoon I came home to JR on the floor near the tank. He had jumped out of the tank and I wasn't there to rescue him. :-( Broke my heart.

Glad your guy kept swimming!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is he one from your "beta fight pit" test? Lol if he is, I'm sure he will be fine. He has to be one tough fish to have endured that.
Glad to hear he is doing better.

Ha! Yea, he has really been through hell. I just can't stop abusing these guys, can I? >:)

Bump:
So when you add the Prime or what ever Chlorine remover is the action instant?? I have searched my bottle and it doesn't say.
Also, can you add too much? I have a really small (15 gallon) tank and I know I most likely error in adding too much.

@AWolf In my early days of keeping fish I had an oscar that just kept outgrowing his tank. He had been in my classroom for many a while but I finally took him home to live with my in my apartment. One afternoon I came home to JR on the floor near the tank. He had jumped out of the tank and I wasn't there to rescue him. :-( Broke my heart.

Glad your guy kept swimming!
I know, I've had suicidal fish before too. Sad when it happens. Oscars are such personalities, I think I would have been a bit sick over it for a few days too.

I don't know how instant the API Chlorine remover is, but I'm just guessing it is very quick. Honestly, don't know how it works at all. I assume it binds with the chlorine immediately on impact with the molecule. I swish the water around to get it dispersed. But the poor guy is looking and acting fine, so, I just barely killed him this time. :wink2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts