The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was adding the first fish to the aquarium (3 Platties, 5 Cardinal tetras and 2 Atyopsis Shrimp). I knew something was wrong as soon as I released the cardinals from their bag float.

Almost immediately they all started gasping and swimming up at the surface. 1 died in a matter of minutes while I checked my water. Much to my horror my Ph had dropped below the test kits range (6.5) and after redoing my Kh test I realized I had done a miscalculation in CO2 levels. They were so high it was ridiculous (I had accidentally bumped my needle valve wide open when I was working on the tank a day ago)

By the time I had changed 50% of the tank water, added aeration etc I had lost 4 of the 5 cardinals. All the platties are fine and the 2 shrimp seem to be doing well, they have been climbing all around the slate eating so thats a plus...

My local fish store has Cardinals for $3 Canadian (most others have them for $6-9) so I'm going to pick up 5 more on friday and give this another go now that I've drastically lowered my CO2 dose.

So lesson learned, check the water immediately BEFORE going to the fish store.. guh

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I know that feeling - I've made the mistake of adjusting CO2, going home, and coming in the next morning to a tank full of floaters and a stuck open solinoid valve. It's a horrible gut-wrenching feeling. I just tell myself that learning from my mistakes makes me a better aquarist and that I didn't do it on purpose.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
hah. You should have seen me when I first got into pressurized Co2. The needle valve got bumped and then we went away for the weekend. When I got back, bubbles were pouring out of the tank --- so much, that my 10 lb tank was empty a few weeks after filling. Needlesss to say, the school of ~12 harlequin rasboras, 3-4 SAEs and a couple other fish (ottos I think) were all dead.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the first time I've used CO2 on a tank this small, this was all my gear from my 135 gallon tank so I am still geting used to how drastic the slightest changes can be to the tank balance.

I've spent the entire night waking up every hour with a flashlight to check on the tank.. lol.. just had to keep making sure the shrimp were alright... heh

·
Registered
888 Posts
That's a positive way of looking at things. LOL :tongue:
Third one agreeing or should it be thirded?:hihi:
Poor Gareth. At least, you can anticipate things like that in the future and be able to prevent it.:smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts