The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 20H I have 3 leopard danio and 2 CPD and a flock of red cherries. I came home yesterday and the mommy CPD was nowhere to be found. The tank only has 4 plastic plants(Yes I'm working on that, it looks like a playskool tank) so its not like there are lots of places to hide. Theres a sponge over the filter intake and a lid. I'm just straight up confused as to where she went.:eek5:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Did you check around the tank in case it jumped out? If it did, do you have any other animals that may be like "Oooooohhh a tasty snack! Nom nom nom" and eat it off the floor? I know my cats know when I move feeders between tanks and they follow me around hoping one will jump out of my net!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I looked all around the floor even though I have a lid on the tank, nothing was there. No pets in the house besides the fish and the girlfriend. I already asked her about it and she wouldn't touch one if it died, so I know that wasn't it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll see if I can get some pics tonight. It's not to pretty yet, still a beginners tank. It would be awfully talented for the CPD to go up into the outflow of the Aquaclear 20 and I'm pretty sure I would have seen her there, I looked.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yea I looked all around the floor even though I have a lid on the tank, nothing was there. No pets in the house besides the fish and the girlfriend. I already asked her about it and she wouldn't touch one if it died, so I know that wasn't it.
I don't know crazydog...seems like you may have a larger issue at hand. If you keep calling the girlfriend a pet, you may accidentally get lost for good too. :icon_smil

I am sorry for your loss though (hopefully its not lost). Although I can't imagine where it would be in the tank. Sometimes, just sometimes, fish go missing for a day or two and the hungry counterparts consume the entire fish before you have a chance to see it. But this usually happens with small fish that died and some pretty voracious eaters.

My immediate guess would have been a jumper but you have a lid...weird indeed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I realized what I said after said it, luckily she doesn't read these forums other wise I would likely have a very sore arm. My best guess as of now is that the CPD died sometime in the night and by the time I got home from work the 20-30 shrimp did the dirty work. I can hope that I am just super crazy blind and I will come home after class tonight and she will be swimming up a storm.:icon_smil

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you check around the tank in case it jumped out? If it did, do you have any other animals that may be like "Oooooohhh a tasty snack! Nom nom nom" and eat it off the floor? I know my cats know when I move feeders between tanks and they follow me around hoping one will jump out of my net!
I had a platy disappear on me once and I could not for the life of me figure out what happened to her. My girlfriend came in after I nearly tore all my hair out looking for the thing and flipped our pleco's cave upside down and sure enough the platy was floating dead under the top of the cave

got any caves?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a partial rock cave I have built, but can see underneath it fine. And a volcano looking thing which holds my airstone; I moved it yesterday to see if the CPD was under there and saw nothing. Maybe I will take it completely out of the water to check.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I lost a CPD once. I finally checked the 1/4" tubing I was using for water changes and it was stuck about a foot in (dead by then :icon_frow ) I have put some nylon netting over the tube ever since.

Now, if someone could tell me where my red spot nerite is ........

·
Registered
993 Posts
As I was rearranging the stuff underneath my tank stand last weekend, I found a dried up amano shrimp. That tank hasn't had amano shrimp in almost 4 years. That practically preserved body has sat there unnoticed in that long of a time, when I've used the inside of that tank as storage of sorts for so many different things/crap.

So, I'd say it's possible that your missing fishie might have gone carpet surfing and landed on a spot that somehow ends up being unnoticed....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally figured it out last night. What was left of her was stuck behind the sponge covering the filter intake. I saw that the other night but thought it was a shrimp. I checked water conditions and all seemed fine, I am pretty sure the death was caused by constant bullying by the daddy CPD. On a positive side that means I am one step closer to a rescape and dedicated shrimp tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.