The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I offered bulk dry nutrients to the hobby. Sold a bunch. Got out of it. Said I would never do it again. Just got done weighing up 50 lbs of KNO3 and 50 lbs of K2SO4. Still have the CaCl2, KH2PO4, Plantex and chelated iron to go.

I am going to change one thing with the next batch. I will not be selling weight. I will be selling volume. Much easier to measure and much quicker.

Spent last night and part of today making bubble counters. Broke down and got a miter saw to cut the tubing. It's almost fun now. That clear PVC is a pain to work with. But the saw makes what used to take over an hour a 10 minute job. Going to make building reactors much quicker also.

Thursday night I was assembling solenoids. I also need to go assemble check valves.

Then I need to look around and see what happened to my free time.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Always liked using a chop saw blade cutting PVC. Created a bur free cut first pass.

I for one appreciate your offerings Rex. Most of the commercial stuff geared at our hobby is either junk or hi end and out of reach for most budgets.

Your products meet the quality factor without breaking the bank. I for one thank you for the time spent on these endeavors. The newb page for one is a huge time saver for all of us on the forums.:icon_wink

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I use a tool made for pvc like a set of scissors for pvc pipe, cuts it clean and no noise or dust.
Actually, that is the easiest route for pvc pipe under (what?) 2", I think. I've used the mitre saw, jig saw, hacksaw, wood saw--and no doubt: a couple of other saws.

The pvc cutters really are the quickest, but a good chop/mitre saw can give the "straightest" cuts. :proud:

HTH

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What kind of blade do you use for that? Metal cutting blade? Plywood blade?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well, they sure do appreciate what you did, Rex.
You are doing a great service to the planted aquarium community over there, supplying something that works while maintaining very affordable prices.

That is just exactly what I did, though over here I made those ferts in liquified form, helping with bulk ones only to those with very large consumption rate. Sure they are more than happy to get something from one third to quarter of the usual expense that more and more cheap students can now afford to start a tank.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a tool made for pvc like a set of scissors for pvc pipe, cuts it clean and no noise or dust.
Doesn't work with the clear PVC. The clear is a different material and cracks like there is no tomorrow when using a pipe cutter like that. Believe me I have tried. Anyone want a $20 PVC pipe cutter?

The blade I'm using is a fine tooth made for metal and plastic. Still have to clean up the cuts a bit but with the right tool that takes seconds.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's so great of you to start up this service for folks again, Rex. I can't imagine how time consuming that must be.

For the clear pvc, is it possible to just score and break it like acrylic? I can honestly say I've never seen the clear stuff. Where do you get it? Any chance you want to sell off some of your scraps? They'd probably make good caves for my bristlenoses and I could make them blend into the tank better than the ugly white stuff. ;)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://savko.com/

From what I have found they have some of the best prices I've seen.

It's not possible to score and break either. It has more flex than acrylic but it's more brittle than the white PVC.

I try and NOT have scraps. In fact I don't have any at all right now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Add me to the chorus of forumers who appreciate what you do, Rex. A couple months ago I was a TOTAL newbie to planted tanks. The only experience I had regarding growing aquatic plants was with goldfish ponds. I read through these forums and came across many of your posts, which of course led me to read your website pages. No need for me to post a lot of questions and I got almost all of my questions answered. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Linda, thanks.

And to answer the question in your sig all you need is 70% shade cloth over the pool. Sunlight is free.

BTW the fertilizer store is open. I don't have everything bagged up yet but will over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'd go 40% shade cloth. LOL That's what we use over my wife's greenhouse.

·
Registered
408 Posts
http://savko.com/

From what I have found they have some of the best prices I've seen.

It's not possible to score and break either. It has more flex than acrylic but it's more brittle than the white PVC.

I try and NOT have scraps. In fact I don't have any at all right now.
Hey, thanks for that link, Rex!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suggested 70% because I read somewhere that's what a lot of the commercial growers use.

Also there is a difference in the angle and strength of the sun in Texas vs Northern Washington.

·
Registered
803 Posts
all you need is 70% shade cloth over the pool. Sunlight is free.
*snicker* What if it's an indoor pool? ;)

You're not kidding there's a difference in the strength of the sun down here! You can leave a bottle of coke out in the sun and it'll turn clear in just a few days. No kidding. I have to have automatic float valves on all my ponds and horse troughs to be sure to keep them full ~ on my 8' diameter x 2.5?' tall tank there's a GOOD inch a day of evap in July. You know you're gardening in Texas when you look for plants that say "invasive" because those are the only ones that will live through the summer. *sigh* And they don't sell very many things in clear glass bottles anymore because they start fires on the side of the road.

BTW, DH over my shoulder says "Hoo-ah!" to you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A small amount of det cord and C4 placed in the right places will turn the indoor pool into an outdoor pool.
:eek:LOL:eek:
Police.
Mam, why did you blow up your pool house?

Linda,
I wanted turn the pool into a high light pond for my aquarium plants. Can you help me hang this shade cloth.

Rex, Always the extremist. :proud:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.