The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the title says it all. I think these shrimp are as good as dead. They are currently laying on their sides twitching. Idk how to help them.

I had decided to do a small rescape so I removed probably around 8 or 9 shrimp. That's all that's in that tank (minus 1 but we will get to her). So i put them in a small critter keeper that had some larger rocks on thw bottom. originally I had a betta in there but she's moved to a better tank. The keeper was dry so I put tank water in there.

I start the rescape and suddenly theres 1 female shrimp still in the tank. So I leave her. I remove the big rock. Push down the driftwood. Move some plants. Takes about 30 -45 minutes. I add the water back that i took out. I go to get the keeper with the shrimp and they are all twitching. Does anyone know what happened maybe? The female still in the tank is perfectly fine. I'm lost. They were red rilis. I feel awful cuz its definitely my fault somehow

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the only thing I can think of too but I made sure I rinsed the container before i even put the tank water in it. They might make it. Some of them are standing now

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
was there a temp difference? in sub 60 degree water, shrimp will tend to lock up and even look dead as their metabolism dwindles down to a standstill. with all factors being consistent, it was the only thing i could think of that could be happening. i suggest adding an airstone immediately to oxygenate the water

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there was a temp difference it would only be a few degrees. They were only out of the tank for tops 45 min. I used the same tank water I was taking them out of to try to prevent stress. As soon as i saw them I put them right back in their regular tank. Hoping that the hob would help with the flowing water. They all seem to be standing now. But not moving at all

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The keeper has always been mine. I had a hermit crab in there long ago. But when i put the betta in everything was switched out. And the betta was in there for 2 or 3 months. Unless the betta good is high in copper..

Update: Everyone is walking around and one is now berried. Possibly the one who stayed in the tank. Yay!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess ill never know what happened. But everyone was alive this morning. I thought for sure they were goners

1 - 13 of 13 Posts