The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in my local PetCo and they let me pic thru their giant heap of floating plants and find what I wanted... I ended up with about 4-5 apongedens, 6-8 small jungle vals, TONS of duckweed, 20-25 blue ramshorns, a tiger lotus, a banana plant all for $1.99 and then I paid $8 for a Big jungle val and a pot of stems... so I paid $10.81 total for all of that... I am soo happy... I might go back once I have some more money...:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures!!!
Duckweed

Two malysian Trumpet snails

Un-Identified stems (please I.D.)

Apongedens

Banana Plant

Tiger lotus

Big val

The whole tank

Let me know what you think...
Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
it's spelled aponogeton, and i think the one you have is aponogeton crispus.

i like duckweed :) i actually want some, for my turtles to eat

·
Registered
695 Posts
i have duckweed in one of my tanks but not much yet suprisingly since it supposedly grows fast..thats a nice deal ferrarikid is that your 55 gallon tank ?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Not too shabby at all - congrats!

Newer tank? Actually duckweed is pretty helpful. It blocks out the light and soaks up nutrients, which can really help cut down on algae until your plants get growing. It not as bad as you guys think. (and if you think Duckweed is bad, you should see Wolfia - woo man, ugh).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
How did you get all that for $2 (the first list)? Pretty darn good deal.

Duckweed, to me, is something created from a toenail clipping of Satan himself. I hate that stuff beyond belief. 9 months of hard work and the stupid stuff is STILL in my tank!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, this is my 55gallon

I will Post a picture of the ramshorns tomorrow... But you can see them in the picture of the banana plant... I know they are blue ones, I found a shell of a dead one that hitched a ride and it was baby blue and almost iradecent looking... The way I got the first list for $2 was by acting like I knew what it was I was looking for and the girl helping me had no clue about anything... she gave me a bag and told me to fill it up and let her know what I put in it so I did... I told her approx. 10-12 loose plants and she said that they sell them 3 for the price of 1 but in the end she only charged me for 1 total...so who knows what was going through her head! Oh and all the duckweed and snails were FREE! so I will most deffinatly be gong back for more snails... and probably more killer deals!!!

I am a little worried about the duckweed b/c I turned my filters off when I put it in and then turned them back on and its floating Everywhere... I assume it will calm down once it all finds a place to go and just sit.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
there are blue...
my point being that blues are rare, not that they don't exist.
so rare that Petco would not unwittingly be giving them away!
so either they are not true blue ramshorns, or those snails are
not ramshorn at all.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
my point being that blues are rare, not that they don't exist.
so rare that Petco would not unwittingly be giving them away!
so either they are not true blue ramshorns, or those snails are
not ramshorn at all.
But remember, petco employee's are about as smart as your average gopher. So It wouldn't surprise me too much.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
But remember, petco employee's are about as smart as your average gopher. So It wouldn't surprise me too much.

-Andrew
:eek5: :icon_lol:

Well you can't really argue with that statement at times. If you are lucky you will find a knowledgable staff member.

But I'm still waiting on that day.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm just surprised to see all the plants you bought are still green! Most, and I do mean MOST of the plants I see at Petco are dead or really close to it. You getting that deal on all pretty healthy looking plants was a good deal for you....i'm still in shock that they're not all brown and melting. Good find...i guess.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i went to petco lastnight because they had the aquaclear filter on sale.
I hate shopping there, their employee's know nothing. Actually its a (not that it matters) blonde chick that doesnt know a single name of the fish they have there. Its terrible. I even counted 7 dead fish and 3 semi-floaters, one being a clown loach.

I asked another employee about their stands, cause they had one advertised online that was for a 29g or 20L (30" W) the guy pointed me to a 24" W stand and said it would work, not to mention it was $40 bucks more, I said my tank was 30" wide and then he told me he would just go buy a bookshelf instead.

heh, i hate petsmart. And walmart.
I will never shop there.

I'll choose to pay alittle extra to support the LFS that has alot more knowledge and raises healthy fish.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'll choose to pay alittle extra to support the LFS that has alot more knowledge and raises healthy fish.
I used to work at a bad big chain petstore, then I moved on to smaller and better things. It always made me sad when people would come and talk to me for an hour and a half, and then use my advice and suggestions to support another retailer or online shop because their prices were a bit better, but what can you do? We did have a ton of loyal customers who appreciated that we were different and we had a high level of quality. It is very nice to hear you saying that you're one of them retoid!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ditto. I buy a few things at big chain stores because my LFS doesn't stock them. Stuff like AC filters, certain foods, etc.

Everything else I go to my LFS, including fish. They are actually a big sponser to our fish club so that's just another reason to shop there. They also give monthly specials. This month was 12% everything in the store except Eheim's. Great deal? Yup!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts