The Planted Tank Forum banner

I just dirted my 40b :)

3210 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Dan's85

Sorry I forgot to snap some before pics. I've been in the process of making MTS for the last few weeks, and it finally finished up a few days ago, so I'm taking advantage of the long weekend and getting it started!

Plant list as of now:

Bacopas
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Repens
Riccia
Water Wisteria
DHG
HC
And a few unknowns.

Future plants:

Rotala mini butterfly
flame moss
I haven't decided on what else yet

Livestock as of now:

3x Pictus catfish
5x Harlequin Rasbora
6x Cherry Barb
2x Blue Rams
1x Otocinclus cat
2x Stiphodon Goby
5x Amano Shrimp

Future livestock:

3 or so more Harlequin Rasboras
2-3 more Otos

Equipment list:

Aqueon 40b tank
Petco brand stand
Cascade 1000 canister
Zoo-Med 36'' dual T5HO
Ultra-Sun (6500k) bulb
Flora-Sun (5500k) bulb
Zoo-Med rotating powerhead
Reef Fanatic CO2 Regulator
In the process of getting the rest of the equipment for my CO2.

Thanks to the infinite amount of knowledge on this site, I have finally began to take the plunge and dirt my 40b. The plan as of now is to go with the DSM for my HC to get a nice thick carpet for when I flood, hopefully my fish won't be too cramped in me 29g. Thanks for looking! I'll be updating as I make progress.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that from several people, but I haven't had any trouble out of them. I am thinking about re homing them anyway though. I don't think a 40b is quite big enough for them.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

After playing around with the hard scape some more, this is what I have for now

I found an awesome piece of mopani wood at my LFS, so I have incorporated that into the scape. The HC is starting to grow in nicely, and I picked up a Florida Sunset Crypt in Denver this last weekend. The pictus cats have been re-homed to make room for some smaller fish. Thanks for looking!

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally have an update. I bought a GLA premium regulator with a paintball adapter, bubble counter and some tubing along with a 24oz tank and its all being shot through a ceramic diffuser. Since I received my regulator yesterday, I went ahead and flooded everything. Here's some pics.

My florida sunset.

Riccia

Süßwassertang

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Flora plans for now:

Süßwassertang
Crypt Wentii "green"
Florida sunset crypt
Ludwigia Inclinata Pantana
Hygrophila Pinnafida
Star grass
Fissidens
Rotala Pearl mini type 2

I kind of just playing the flora as I go. I keep seeing too many thing that I like, so I buy which ever comes up first when I have the money.

I'm still trying to find the best place for the diffuser. I'm getting a ton of micro bubbles all over the tank, but I'm not sure how well it's actually diffusing, although the drop checker is green. According to the PH/KH charts I'm getting between 13ppm-25ppm.

I also replaced the Flora-Sun bulb with another 6500k. I'm debating on buying an Odyssea quad T5HO or waiting for the new Finnex Plant+ LED to come out. Any thoughts?

· Registered
292 Posts
That's some really good growth in that short of time!! Any tips?

If you're thinking LED, I highly suggest looking into a Build My LED fixture. The reason being they offer a 90 degree beam angle, which offers a really good spread of light across the whole tank. A 40B is so wide that the wider beam angle will help plants along the edges a lot.
I currently have a Build My LED fixture on my 40B, and it was one of the best investments I've made so far. I definitely saw an increase in the speed of growth as well as color when converting from a 2 bulb 48w T5HO fixture. Just my 2¢.

Is that driftwood a local find? It's incredible.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's some really good growth in that short of time!! Any tips?

If you're thinking LED, I highly suggest looking into a Build My LED fixture. The reason being they offer a 90 degree beam angle, which offers a really good spread of light across the whole tank. A 40B is so wide that the wider beam angle will help plants along the edges a lot.
I currently have a Build My LED fixture on my 40B, and it was one of the best investments I've made so far. I definitely saw an increase in the speed of growth as well as color when converting from a 2 bulb 48w T5HO fixture. Just my 2¢.

Is that driftwood a local find? It's incredible.
The substrate it MTS with an Eco Complete cap and I misted semi regularly with water from another aquarium.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Build My LED fixtures, I'll have to check them out a little more.

The long piece that reaches across the tank is a local find. The big squid looking piece on the right side I found at my LFS for $20!!

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right on!! Do you have any suggestions for a layout for the Build My LED as far as the colors? I have ZERO experience with custom lighting.

· Registered
292 Posts
Right on!! Do you have any suggestions for a layout for the Build My LED as far as the colors? I have ZERO experience with custom lighting.
If you're uncomfortable with custom, they sell a prearranged light geared for planted tanks.

If you do want to go custom, they have their own forums where a lot of different layouts have been posted. I copied their 5000k spectrum, which seemed very red at first (mostly because I switched from a fixture with a 6500k and a 10000k bulb), but after a couple of days I liked it better. The color of fish and plants really pop. If I ever order another, I might do a pattern of 6500k-6500k-red-blue...etc.

Their staff is also very helpful, give them a call and tell them what your looking to do, and they will help you come up with a layout that suits your wants.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok cool. I'll check out their forums. I'm not against keeping my current T5HO and adding another light, so I'll look around and see what others have done. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.