The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share with all of you. I finally got in and added the last piece of decor to the 29 gallon aquarium. It's finished. The theme is old cars at the bottom of the lake. There's an old wreck on the left, a VW Bus in the center that has air bubbles coming out of the tailpipe and an old deteriorating jeep on the right. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Please excuse the pics, as I am not a professional and am just using my little camera. The first is with the flash on and the second is with it off. For the planted part, up top, in the power filter, I have Pothos and Swedish Ivy. I am using them because they are pretty and because they will root heavily and feed on the waste drawn into the filter.

Bump: Close up view of the cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the car idea. Even seen some lego worlds and green army men in tanks. I know its not for everyone but, whatever floats your boat. Couple things to think about. What you are putting in the tank safe for the inhabitants? Also how could you scape to maybe resemble a road for the wreck. Neat tank! Possibilities are endless in aquariums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mdeck,

I didn't think about a road. That's a cool idea! I purchased the cars. They are aquarium decor. I wouldn't put anything in the tank that would harm my fishies. Loves my fishies. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Mikeygmzmg! Yes, that's the Emperor 400. I'm so happy that having my Pothos and Swedish Ivy in the filter counts! I'm not really up on underwater plants. I hope to get there. After all, I do have a degree in Horticulture. It's just that I earned the degree learning about land based plants. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Neat idea! The Emperor 400 is a workhorse. I am a big believer in the biowheels. They have always kept my water crystal clear. I often wondered what happens when the roots head into the impeller compartment though. If you wanted to venture further into the aquatic plant realm, you could dip your toes by attaching some flame moss to the cars. Just a thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
loach guy, the flame moss is an awesome idea! I will look into that. As for the Emperor 400, compared to an older one I was given that needs a new impeller, the new model I purchased on sale from PetSmart seems to be quite different internally. It appears that the impeller on the new model is completely enclosed. It looks like the roots can't get to it. :) I may be wrong. I hope not, because it really looks like it's completely enclosed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a newer model on a 20 gallon. The impeller itself is enclosed, but the magnet driving it is not. You may need to pull some roots out of the motor/magnet area from time to time. You may not though. Maybe that rotating magnet wears them down and never allows the roots to get down in there. I really don't know. Trying new things is always fun. Welcome to the hobby!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, loach guy! I didn't know about the magnet. I'll keep an eye on it. It should be a while before the roots are that long. So, I have plenty of time to keep watch. :) I just love my fish. They are so tranquil that as I watch them I fall asleep. That, and I'm getting older, so sitting/laying in one place for too long and I'm out like a light. :)

Bump: Thank you for the link, Joshism. That setup is too cool. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thank you, loach guy! I didn't know about the magnet. I'll keep an eye on it. It should be a while before the roots are that long. So, I have plenty of time to keep watch. :) I just love my fish. They are so tranquil that as I watch them I fall asleep. That, and I'm getting older, so sitting/laying in one place for too long and I'm out like a light. :)

Bump: Thank you for the link, Joshism. That setup is too cool. :)
I completely understand where you are coming from. That's why I just put a 10 gallon on my night stand. My better half so far hasn't thought of it as the great idea that my son and I think it is. I thought these things were supposed to be calming?!? 😝

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on Big Tank

Hey, Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that apparently, my tank is more planted than I knew. I just added 4 new fish to it this evening and noticed that I have 3 tiny green plants growing in the tank.

They must have grown from seeds left over in the sand that was given to me with the tank. I looked online and think they may be Dwarf Hair Grass. I'm not sure, so, I'll have to wait until they've grown a bit to be able to identify it. Way too small for the camera to capture.

So, I do have a planted tank. Top filter is planted and aquarium sand is planted. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Nice! Little surprises like that can be fun. I had a Lillie green speck of something growing on a rock. It turned out to be flame moss that I tear out by the handful now. I'm still confused as to how it got into my tank.

I was also given some plant material when I bought my first shrimp. The LFS guy thought it was java moss. I knew it wasn't, but I couldn't figure out what it was. So I let it grow a bit. Then experimented with it by planting it, floating it anything it to a rock. It did well in every case. I finally gave up and posted some photos on here. It turned out to be guppy grass. My shrimp absolutely love the stuff, and although I have never kept java moss. It seems so much easier to keep, and I can actually get rid of it if I wanted to.

It's good to hear that you are having a good time with the hobby. Be careful. It's very addicting and can consume vast amounts of time and money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.