The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been cycling my tank and was just about to do a pwc as pH has dropped and noticed something moving in the corner.

After a closer look I actually discovered two different organisms in one place!

The # 2 on the picture is about 1mm and they (there are a few of them) jump/slide very quickly on the surface of the glass in straight line patterns. Jumps range from half an inch to almost 2"! They like tiny water flees or something.

Then when I was looking at it very close, I discovered some tiny <1mm white worms (#1 on the picture) slowly moving over the glass.

Pleas some cluster of white (eggs?) stuff on top. There are a few clusters like that in the tank.

Sorry for crappy cell phone picture. How the heck they survive the ammonia and what are they?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The smaller things could be Daphnia or Seed Shrimp, along with an assortment of small pond crustaceans, it's hard to tell when they're not magnified.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Under a pH of 7, ammonia picks up free hydrogen atoms to become ammonium, and become essentially harmless as it's more stable. Bacteria in your filter can still eat ammonium no problem and the cycle will continue. As you approach a pH of 5, there is no traces of ammonia and only ammonium.

Since you mentioned your pH is low, that could be part of it. The other is, some things can just live in bad conditions.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I wonder if the worm like things are planaria. Look closely and see if they seem to have any sort of head. It would be a sort of wide arrow shape. Might even see the eye spots.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any snails?
I do have some snails in it after I squeezed a sponge from an established filter but not much.

I wonder if the worm like things are planaria. Look closely and see if they seem to have any sort of head. It would be a sort of wide arrow shape. Might even see the eye spots.
They look like slugs, can't see if there is head since they are <1mm. I saw one about 1mm but it was far away to get a closer look but I could swear it had a tiny micro tail :icon_eek:. I will try to look at them with magnifying glass tonight.

Regarding those jumpy thingies, I see more of them around the substrate. They have legs for sure and jumping/sliding everywhere.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I added ammonia today I saw probably hundreds of them dead, much smaller, floating in the water. Some of them were still alive but less active. Anybody has any idea what they are? I posted a short video of the worm in the post above. The dead ones were probably 2-3 times smaller than the one in the video.

Thaks in advance for any advise on these worms!

·
Registered
12 Posts
#1 are a Nematodes, #2 is Daphnia (aka water fleas). They both make great live food.

They attach their eggs to pretty much anything, from driftwood to plants.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
#1 are a Nematodes, #2 is Daphnia (aka water fleas). They both make great live food.

They attach their eggs to pretty much anything, from driftwood to plants.
I thought that nematodes are tiny like 1-2mm, my worms are close to 3/4", though there are smaller ones, maybe 1/2". Please check the link I posted with worm video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to this, there are a ton of different nematode species, some can grow up to 2cm and they swim in a snake-like fashion. I believe the short 1-2mm species are the dangerous parasitic types. The most common in aquaria is the scavenger type which live in subsrate.

My little sisters yabby tank gets an outbreak of both every year. I just drop a cichlid in to eradicate them.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to this, there are a ton of different nematode species, some can grow up to 2cm and they swim in a snake-like fashion. I believe the short 1-2mm species are the dangerous parasitic types. The most common in aquaria is the scavenger type which live in subsrate.

My little sisters yabby tank gets an outbreak of both every year. I just drop a cichlid in to eradicate them.
Thanks for the info and a link! It was a good read.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nematode just refers to a member of the phylum, like arthropoda (things like barnacles, spiders, and mosquitos), or mollusca (things like clams, or snails or squid), or chordata (things like kiwis, turtles, and us).

It's an incredibly diverse group, and while there are a lot of parasitic nematodes, there are abundant free-living species as well. I can't remember the source, but I had heard someone claim that if you eliminated everyhting on earth but nematodes, you would be left looking at a ghostlike image of everything you recognize.

Lots are microscopic, but a few (mostly parasites) can get up to 3 ft long or so

1 - 16 of 16 Posts