The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i received a rebate from this thing i purchased and now I'm debating whether i should get the CO2 system I've always wanted.. A paintball co2 system for about 140 bucks.

Should i go for it? I'm on the edge about this . . It's from a rebate, but i feel i could spend it else where, like on food and little things like that.

Help, yes or no? Is it really worth it? Would you do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
For that amount, you should check out CO2Art.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So i received a rebate from this thing i purchased and now I'm debating whether i should get the CO2 system I've always wanted.. A paintball co2 system for about 140 bucks.

Should i go for it? I'm on the edge about this . . It's from a rebate, but i feel i could spend it else where, like on food and little things like that.

Thanks!
Ramen noodles are very nutritious! They can be fed to dogs, but cool them off first, they lack the physiology and common sense to blow on them first. Ramen noodles can be fed to infants, put them in a blender first if your children do not yet have molars. Wife? well that 's where things get complicated...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Thanks!
Food and little things is more important than a co2 system. A beautiful tank with lots of plants can be accomplished using the "low tech" method. Check out that subforum. Come to mind, Ramen Noodles are pretty yummy.:wink:

Bump:

Thanks!
Food and little things is more important than a co2 system. A beautiful tank with lots of plants can be accomplished using the "low tech" method. Check out that subforum. Come to mind, Ramen Noodles are pretty yummy.:wink:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you're in a financial situation to where spending $140 won't effect your standard of living then absolutely, but get a real co2 system not a paintball one. Or did you mea fish food? Serious question there. If 140 bucks would mean you can't eat for a couple days, or have to live on ketchup packets and water then you should probably not get the co2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts

If this is you, you should probably pass on the co2

Reminds me of college. Peanut butter sandwich for breakfast because I had to buy yet another textbook. That kind of poverty is only funny when you're 19 and paying your own way through university. After graduation I swore that I wouldn't ever do that to myself willingly ever again.

Budget carefully, save up cash, and buy it when you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have enjoyed plenty of tanks without CO2 but it's a nice option to have. Just make sure you total everything up. I actually got a setup for free but when it came to the hydro test (shouldn't be an issue with a new tank), a new needle valve, drop checker, diffuser, 4DKH solution, etc, it ran me over $100 for that. Then you may get temped to up the lights as well. Just make sure you do the math on a tight budget because you can end up spending quite a bit on accessories, especially if you choose brand name stuff.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn't do another planted tank without co2. Period. Been on both sides of the fence. The grass truely is greener...and redder so to speak. Co2 injection can actually enable you to lower your light and still achieve great growth with higher light plants. Some carpeting plants for instance may not thrive in a low light low tech tank, but once you add co2 and nothing else suddenly they can perk up and do great. In the grand scheme of things...$100 is not that much to spend on a tank. Especially if that's your grand total. Then again I may be jaded by my years as a reefer. You want to talk about expensive...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I went with a co2art regulator and a paintball tank I had; I then bought a paintball adapter for $10. Spent about $70 on it and when I save up my "fun money", I will buy a larger CO2 tank(if it will fit under the tank :) ) You don't have to spend all of the refund.

·
Registered
142 Posts
CO2 doesn't necessarily provide better growth. If you are content with your plants or their names all start with java then pass on it. If you really want some plant that requires co2 then go for it.

To be real honest, I've seen full real setups go for as low as $75. Thats 10#+ cylinder with regulator needle valve solenoid and diffuser included. I got my 15# plus bubble counter for $120.

·
Registered
904 Posts
CO2 doesn't necessarily provide better growth. If you are content with your plants or their names all start with java then pass on it. If you really want some plant that requires co2 then go for it.
I beg to differ. Even mosses will benefit from C02 being injected in the tank. It's hard to see the difference but it will grow quicker with C02 being provided in the water column.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I beg to differ. Even mosses will benefit from C02 being injected in the tank. It's hard to see the difference but it will grow quicker with C02 being provided in the water column.
There is quite a difference between healthier growth and faster growth. I never said mosses or any other plant would not grow faster with co2. Basically what I said was that if $140 is a lot of money to someone (which is more likely for someone with only java moss and java ferns) then chances are that same individual could easily find more value in said money than an extra few millimeters of growth per week.

As an aside, I find the beauty in mosses and ferns to be their slower groth rates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.