The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
spot treating involves turning off all sources of circulation and slowly squirting the excel onto the algae you want to kill. let it sit there for about about ten to twenty minutes and then turn your filter/pumps back on. there arent too many fish that will eat bba. flag fish will eat it live, but only if they have absolutely nothing else. i have never found hair algae in the stomaches of wild caught flagfish, so i dont believe it is a natural part of their diet. i have never even seen BBA in the wild where they live... only long stringy types of algae. in a tank i have seen them eat BBA. the evidence is tufts of algae floating around that look red, just as they would if you killed it with excel. they didnt eat much of it though.

the only animal i know of that will usually eat BBA is the siamese algae eater. they arent that great at eating hair algae, but they love to graze on BBA. for hair algae... you just have to nuke it. even drying it out doesnt really work, since it reduces to spores and will come right back after you wet it again. same for BBA.

as for the scuds, i cant think of anything you can do to get rid of them that wont kill the shrimp. if you get absolutely disgusted with them, you can pull the shrimp and dry the tank. all your plants would need to go into a plastic bag and get a CO2 treatment, where you pump CO2 into the bag with them, seal it without water, and let it sit for a couple hours. some of it may melt, but you will kill anything crawling on them.

if you choose to try the tank at any point, be sure to dry the substrate completely. i have collected several strains of scuds from dirt that was moist, but never from dirt that was completely dry.

·
Registered
625 Posts
almost forgot, the excel is used at full strength. if you want to prepare a dip, you can set up a bowl with 1 part excel and 5 parts water. a two minute dip should be enough to kill the algae on the plant without damaging the plant too much. you have to pull the plant out of the tank for that.

i added scuds to my planted tank. i also added copepods, ostracods, dero worms, snails, blackworms, fairy shrimp, daphnia, moina, and hair algae... all of which i collected and cultured(except the fairy shrimp).
i set up a "special" tank. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts