The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little 10 gallon planted tank setup I have been trying to get established for a few months now. I have had a verity of issues such as 95% all the plants I have ordered online took so long in shipping nothing sprouted :/

Anyway I started having an outbreak of Break, Black, Red (not sure which) hair algae. I have tried some of the standard methods, water changes, less light, removal even tried a flag fish. I should have been more patient and continued with these methods.

Instead, I had read that Scuds (Gammarus) like to eat hair algae, I had some at home so I optimistically threw some in before researching further (usually not so impulsive) Then upon further reading I found probably 4-5 out of 6 say scuds will destroy the tank and 1-2 out of 6 saying that they are good.

Seeing as I just added them (I don’t think any where berried) what is the best solution to rid myself of them? Should I tear everything apart or is it not that serious? I believe I added roughly 10-12.

Any Advice would be wonderful, Thanks!

P.S. Maybe it was my imagination but it looked like there was quite a bit less hair algae this morning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard of (spot) treating but what do you mean exactly, Like take a turkey baster and squirt it at the algae? I have Excel and I have been putting in about .6ml every 2 days.

The idea I had for the tank was. Plants Celestial Pearl Danios and couple species of Dwarf Shrimp. I also have a couple ottos and Mini moth cat fish (took out the flag fish) So I would like to avoid predators that would go after shimplets :/

The scuds were for feeding a 75 gallon tank I have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do you use on each spot when spot treating? Do you usualy dilute it, like a 1/10 ratio or 100% on the area you want to kill? There is a lot of area to try to cover with only 1ml to work with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! The spot treating is working great. I mix about it about 50/50 with water so I can spread the excel out to more spots and that seems to be working well so far.

Auban:

"i added scuds to my planted tank. i also added copepods, ostracods, dero worms, snails, blackworms, fairy shrimp, daphnia, moina, and hair algae... all of which i collected and cultured(except the fairy shrimp).
i set up a "special" tank."

Do you have a journal about this tank, I was thinking it would be nice to add more micro fauna to the tank to help the ecosystem, I do have some CPD's in the tank. Do you have any predators or just whats listed. How do they effect the plants?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts