The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I finally have success moving past the interview phase and have a trial dinner shift in 3 hours! Even if I don't manage to get the job, at least I manage to get past the interview phase I've been stuck in for eternity right? Maybe I'll have some of the same luck next time around. :)

Anyways, I have the trial shift at a local sushi bar/casual dining-type restaurant, and I was wondering if anybody has any advice for me. This is a fairly small restaurant, I think it can seat about 30 people. And from my own dining experiences there, there is usually only one waiter.

I'm definitely nervous! I don't want to blow it, but I don't want to be a useless fool either. :icon_redf I feel like I'm doing my clinicals again, like when I did Phlebotomy and had 100 hours to get a minimum of 100 successful sticks in order to pass the class and have the oppurtunity to take the ASCP certification test. Or when I had to perform several tasks successful for my Nurse Aiding. Eeeek!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hi I finally have success moving past the interview phase and have a trial dinner shift in 3 hours! Even if I don't manage to get the job, at least I manage to get past the interview phase I've been stuck in for eternity right? Maybe I'll have some of the same luck next time around. :)

Anyways, I have the trial shift at a local sushi bar/casual dining-type restaurant, and I was wondering if anybody has any advice for me. This is a fairly small restaurant, I think it can seat about 30 people. And from my own dining experiences there, there is usually only one waiter.

I'm definitely nervous! I don't want to blow it, but I don't want to be a useless fool either. :icon_redf I feel like I'm doing my clinicals again, like when I did Phlebotomy and had 100 hours to get a minimum of 100 successful sticks in order to pass the class and have the oppurtunity to take the ASCP certification test. Or when I had to perform several tasks successful for my Nurse Aiding. Eeeek!
Just relax, and go with the flow. If things start to get hectic just remember that rushing things will make it even more hectic. Smile, say thank you, and try to have fun. First days can be stressful, but just try as best you can to stay calm.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Don't order anything with sauce or shells.
Take small bites so you can quickly answer questions and keep up with the conversation.
Don't finish first.
Go the the bathroom before the meal and preferably before you meet for the meal. In a business meeting, the first one who needs to use the facilities - loses.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Don't order anything with sauce or shells.
Take small bites so you can quickly answer questions and keep up with the conversation.
Don't finish first.
Go the the bathroom before the meal and preferably before you meet for the meal. In a business meeting, the first one who needs to use the facilities - loses.
I think she may be working a trial serving shift if i am reading correctly. I do not think she is having dinner with the potential employer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is probably too late, but write everything down. Keep an eye on drink levels. Serve women and children first. Serve from the left and clear from the right. Make change quickly. Smile.

Sounds like you're getting the trial by fire. Don't be too discouraged if things don't work out this time. It takes a lot of experience to handle a 30-guest section. A properly managed restaurant will ease new recruits into the fray and make sure they're adequately trained.

Good luck and make lots of money!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!! I'm still alive!! I have to do one more trial next Sunday before I know if I have the job. It was pretty good, the reason why they start me off on Sunday is because it is one of the slower days for them, which is good so that way I can ease in :)

I will do much better next Sunday! I hope I get it heeeeeeee :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been a server for a few months now and I have bad memory when it comes to picky customers so I write EVERYTHING down... unless it's something really easy! but like nit picking customers write it all down and I would say to repeat the order back to them and make sure it's right (mostly with picky people.) I work at cracker barrel and OMG!!! there are some picky people! I've even had people tell me that they want to get their steak diced, Good thing we don't do that. lol! so good luck and if you have a rude customer just walk away when they're done, go to the back, have a drink of water/soda and take a breather... I go into the freezer. lol!

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.