The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my boys tank ( 20 tall with under gravel w/ blubber,year old w/1 Oscar 4" ) it has green and brown algae in it i jest wipe down the glass to get rid if it ( with separate tools of course) but ive noticed rings in the algae that are clean looking closer there's little white worms on the glass in the clean spots and in the gravel. the oscar is very healthy and fat not a mark or spot on him or on his skin all they seam to do is eat the algae some one know whats up ? do i need to treat them? intestinal parasite? with a fat healthy fish? i remember seeing them too about 6 months ago to but didn't think nothing of it at the time a lot less and way smaller then to

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Likely planaria (oscars are messy fish). You can kill them with dewormer (will work on internal worms also) like fenbendazole. I'm not sure how plants react to this drug, as I've only used it once in a quarantine tank. There's another popular one I see brought up in the forums sometimes. I believe it's called flubenzadole or something very similar. Any broad scale anthelmenthic should kill them I would think.

If they are in fact planaria, they're not directly parasitic, but are usually an indicator of filthy substrate, which can be hard to avoid with an undergravel filter, as crud gets pulled under the filter plate. There are other types of detritus eating worms besides planaria, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about platyhelminthes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts