The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all of it. Just the sponge.

I've got one of those Plantguild Power Reactor 200's. It works well in dissolving CO2, but the sponge is driving me crazy.

It falls out all of the time. It gets dirty and slimy and has to be cleaned.

The reactor seems to work better without the sponge. Bubbles seem to form at the bottom of the sponge and then escape, wasting CO2.

But my fish like to swim up into the reactor if they can. I worry about them poisoning themselves on a CO2 bubble.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size tank are you using it on???
75g. It's positioned in the back roughly in the middle. Ironically, this was the reactor that came with the ultimate CO2 system from aquariumplants.com back in 2006 or 2007 when I bought it. I may try inline but I have two concerns (1) isn't it better for the CO2 enriched water to come out near the bottom of the tank, rather than at the top which would be the case with my filter outflow, and (2) how much does that reduce the filter flow? Right now I'm using a single Eheim 2217 canister filter.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been using the same reactor for months now, and I have never had the sponge fall out. Are you missing the little pins on the bottom that hold the sponge in?

But I did make a new one out of some coarse filter media. I have to squish it together to fit it in.

Yeah, there are better reactors to be had, but I don't have the money for a canister right now, and this one isn't too terrible. I hooked a tubing line through the sponge and into the intake of my other powerhead so it sucks in bubbles every couple seconds or so, and misting the tank with CO2.

This is a 90 gallon.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.