The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending almost 5 hours of my day off installing this system I finally gave up and ready to return the junk. Maybe I'll also send them a bill for my wasted time. This is not the ultimate system you want. I wish somebody can write them a lettering telling them that this is not a ideal system and should not mistaken beginner CO2 customer like me. I learned my lesson.

I was so happy today that I was going to receive my brand new aluminum 10 pounder tank and DrFS auto CO2 system. Got my tank filled for $17 and some change plus a free washer. I am happy with it because I only waited like 5 minutes(even though there wasn't a hot lady taking order) Got home anxiously that almost got into an accident, unpacked everything, very happy. Installed Azoo regulator and went so manly with it, maybe too manly, still happy because it comes with 2 washers that I was afraid I wouldn't have. Installed bubble counter, liked it because it's so compact. Installed Maxijet pump, ok, I had to put a own pre-filter sponge on it because I don't think it's good idea to suck everything into the reactor. Ok, humm, I don't like to mount the reactor on the tank. Looked at the manual there isn't a direction on how to install on the stand or even on the tank. So I drilled couple holes on the stand and finally found a way to mount the reactor. Neat. Hooked up every hoses but when trying to attach the FLEXIBLE TUBING into the reactor I bent on of my finger nails. Gees is the FLEXIBLE TUBING suppose to be flexible. I hated the Ehiem return hose I got no luck position it and it almost reach the water surface. Finally plugged in the pump and waited few minutes. I noticed the air release stop on the reactor is leaking. So I replaced the short tube with the silicon tube comes with system and put on a plastic tie. Damn the outlet of the reactor is also leaking...how am I suppose to fix it. The bubble counter did not stick on the tank properly. I had to reattach it few times and just gave up and let it laid on the floor and noticed the bubble counter is also leaking. Wow... I didn't even want to look at the manual of the PinPoint pH controller anymore...Still I let the CO2 system ran 30 minutes while leaking and finally decided to return it. I hated to un-install eveything...:mad: So with couple beers everything was back to the box.

So please help me choose another CO2 configuration. I want to use some reactor that can run inline with Eheim canister (5/8" hose) and an regulator capable of multiple reactors for possible second tank. I don't wanna make more mistakes.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
1) Keep the Azoo regulator.
2) Buy a manifold. I have Clippard manifolds. So does John N. and Rex Grigg. This will allow you to run multiple lines from one Co2 cylinder.
3) Build your own PVC reactor. It'll cost ~$25. There's plans in the DIY forum. A popular one is the Gomer reactor. Plans can be found on this forum or the "other" forum.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to return the package as whole. Maybe I went too manly with the regulator the one time use plastic washer stuck in the nut and I had to break it in order to get it out.

What about bubble counter?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I should have listen to every advise here.

I don't want the same bubble counter again. I have trouble mounting it on the glass. It kept falling.

Does reactor do a bettering job over diffuser on preserving CO2?

I didn't take a closer look, can you change the manifold on AZOO regulator to a multi-port one?

thanks!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
You don't need a pH controller. Just set your system on a timer and use a pH monitor for monitoring.
I have the Pinpoint controller and have gone to just using it as a monitor.
can you elaborate on this statement.
I could not make any sense out of it,
as it sounds contradictory, like what
distinction do you make between pH
controller and monitor? then later
you seem to say you have what you
earlier wrote you didn't actually need.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
can you elaborate on this statement.
I could not make any sense out of it,
as it sounds contradictory, like what
distinction do you make between pH
controller and monitor? then later
you seem to say you have what you
earlier wrote you didn't actually need.
I do have what I don't need.

One controls the other just monitors.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not to confuse you anymore. Hook up with Rex. But, check out Rex's thread in Equipment titled "My gift to you".

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/44703-my-gift-you-cheap-metering-valves.html

Rex has given a link to a reputedly high quality CO2 valve made by Swagelok which is suppose to be extremely accurate and trouble free with precise bubble adjustments. It will replace the Clippard brand needlevalves and runs in line with the CO2 hose (airline). Rex can set you up with the parts to work this in a system. Said to give much better control than the Clippards he has always sold. They cost about $30 shipped and normally retail closer to $60. I bought two myself for a manifold I'm going to set up.

FWIW, I recommend using a controler if you have never run gas. Takes a lot of guess work out and is great for the fish/plants as long as it is maintained (calibrated monthly) and the probe is replaced once a year. Plus you get a digital readout of your tanks pH at any time, which is handy too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forget what's in the fosters smith kit- but return it and get a kit from these guys- AquaCave
The controller is not 100% accurate- but it's close enough. I got it with a 5lb tank, and the cheapest diffusor (I use my eheim as a reactor) it was the cheapest place I could find online, with decent quality. I'm not sure if they'll do it or not, but may you can have the gas place exchange te gas? or if it's the same cylinder, send back the NEW one with the foster smith kit.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just hooked up my system I bought from Rex. Get his bubble counter and it comes with a clamp that will stick like glue to your glass. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out to stick the suction cup to the glass and rotate the clamp. Got everything I needed except a reactor for $156 shipped. you won't be sorry.
Gene

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.