The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a piece of advice, even if you watch CO2 like a hawk, or think you do, you can still screw things up.

I was wonder why the beejeezes my tanks where acting up, flow rates all funny on the reactors, diffusers etc and sure enough, bottom of the gas tank.

I usually catch this stuff, but not this time.
It can certainly happen to anyone, myself included.
I ceck all the time on the larger tanks, but the multi tank system has been so stable and low use, that it's 1-2 years between tank changes, I plumb forgot.

Danggit!
Well, it'll be another 1-2 years before I screw up again I suppose.

My point: CO2 and other things we often over look is very humbling and it gets every single one of us at some point. I certainly am not above my feeble human failings either.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
LOL. You're not gonna know how long the CO2 cylinder is exactly gonna last.

At least you didn't get an end-of-tank dump did you, Tom?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah, I am wondering how long mine will last or if I should just go ahead and refil it sometime. In a couple months it willhave gone 2 years on my 75g and its a 15 pounder. I wonder if there is a way to rig it up on a scale if you know the weight of the assembly empty you could probably tell when its approaching that empty weight.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if it was large plant tank etc, I check them often, this one was not changed for 2 plus years.

I knew right away when I stop seeign any CO2, I was mythed when I saw a 2 week worth of squirrley rates and funny patterns on my diffusers.

It's not what you know, it what you do not know that's going to get you.
I made the assumption is was the needle valves, went through and double checked them(there's 8 on this sytem, so it's a bit more complex), I'd become complacent about the supply from the tank.

I'd had a tank refilled just in case this happened, so there's was little down time. So I was/had planned ahead.

But the last 2 weeks were weird so I was really wondering what was going on and blamed the diffuser and the CO2 lines and then the valves, maybe the threads, the solenoid, the junctions/threading, clogged diffusers etc.

But it was near an empty tank........:cool:

You should not really get an end of tank dump with a decent needle valve.
It just had progressively less pressure and I should have noticed and seen the sign, but like many schmucks, I couldn't see it till later.
You become use to having the gas tank there and not changing after several years, you forget.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tom, a question for you, how much downtime to you think a tank can withstand and what are the variables? My 125 has fertilization rates in keeping with your guidelines and only 160 watts of lighting.

Lately I've had a leak and had a hard time getting it going, I've got a temporary situation rigged up that just means my paintball cylinder won't last as long. Anyway, I imagine the following factors play a roll in how long you have till a major algae mess occurs:

1. Fertilization levels
2. Plant mix/consumption of nutrients pace
3. Amount of light

I'm guessing the best strategy to get through a CO2 outage would be reduce lights and if its longterm a few large water changes. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally less light.
But if you never catch it till 2-3 weeks later, then it's not going to matter.

This issue here is CO2 and the so so growth I got with non stable CO2(as well as some hair algae and GDA, which I've not seen in some years).
Plant growth was okay but not like before and then there was no algae as well.

But it's fixed now and the tanks are running right and pearling like mad once again.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If your tank ran out and it was some days before you could get a refill, probably the best thing to do would be to simply shut it down... I mean turn the lights completely off or really low, stop dosing, etc. Kinda like a blackout? That is if you catch it but cant fix it right away. Does this sound reasonable? On my excel tank I couldnt dose while away and the lighting would have been dificult to mess with, so I simply shut it all down. Since I am still battling algea on that one it actually looked better when I got back a week later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts