The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bitten with the planted tank bug. Been working on a 40 gallon using all native plants found in South Carolina. It is in the start up phase, the filter has yet to kick in. I've added a CO2 generator via yeast and sugar. I will post my design here soon.

Glad to know there are others out there as interested as I am

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have developed an interest in natives as well. Are you going to use native fish? Are you a a member of the nanfa forum?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaning towards some small sunfish. When I lived in Pennsylvania I kept baby walleye and small mouth bass along with baby northern pike. It was enjoyable to see them hunting.

No, this was the only forum I joined.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Pygmy sunfish are cool. Darters are also a very cool choice as well. Lots of darters to choose from.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kept brook trout alive for quite some time, there a pain due to water temp. Baby catfish are ok, but don't feed them hamburger meat they will out grow the tank rather quickly, experience speaking.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I also enjoy darters. I would like to see/try a river tank with darters.
My first tank, the one I am getting stuff together for is going to be a sand bottom tank with little current. My flora will be a couple of Potamogeton species, Heteranthera dubia and Elodea canadensis. Fauna will be Cyprinella lutrensis, Fundulus notatus, and Etheostoma asprigene.

I have a 125 that I am going to make a Cache River (Illinois) biotope. That tank will have pygmy sunfish in it.
http://wwx.inhs.illinois.edu/download_file/view/3427/1364/

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Baby catfish will quickly outgrow the tank if fed anything moderately decent. Catfish in general grow fast and get large.
NANFA Forum is a good resource for native fish care. In a 125g, you can have more than pygmy sunfish, though larger sunnies do tend to be a tad on the mean side. That, or they're warmouth sunfish and live up to their name quite spectacularly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A pic of the new tank, work in progress. No fish yet, making sure the tank will flourish first. I got the new tank haze going on right now until the filter kicks in.

Bump: Help identifying some of the plants would be nice.

Wouldn't be right if I didn't post my Chief help/PITA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Baby catfish will quickly outgrow the tank if fed anything moderately decent. Catfish in general grow fast and get large.
NANFA Forum is a good resource for native fish care. In a 125g, you can have more than pygmy sunfish, though larger sunnies do tend to be a tad on the mean side. That, or they're warmouth sunfish and live up to their name quite spectacularly.
I could put a lot more in it but it will be a species tank. My goal is to have a self sustaining population without my intervention. My understanding is the pygmies dont live long. They color up beautifully when breeding. Imagine 20 or 30 of them babies colored up real nice.

I'm not sure what plants you have. Will look good when you get it cleared up and the plants fill in some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.