The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copepods, Cyclops
and flatworms from what i see, they started to come when the lights when off

this is my shrimp tank and i heard the flatworms are dangerous , when in shrimp tank, what should i do to get rid of bugs

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Copepods, Cyclops
and flatworms from what i see, they started to come when the lights when off

this is my shrimp tank and i heard the flatworms are dangerous , when in shrimp tank, what should i do to get rid of bugs
Lots of water changes, maybe use a turkey baster to remove the flatworms.

Can you share whatyou have heard that the flatworms do to shrimp?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've never heard of flatworms being dangerous.... Can you elaborate why you believe this to be true?

·
Registered
103 Posts
They're not dangerous from anything I've heard or read, but I don't think shrimp eat them either. I have 1 or 2 small ones in my tank and they haven't bothered much(besides being icky!). I do have a question for anyone who knows, though....if they eat bacteria, should I worry that my beneficial bacteria may become a worm feast?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't understand why people freak out so much when micro organism/little monsters appear. Some are indicators your water is good. But an over abunance is when you should worry...Goodluck.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cuz i just went to my petstore today, and they was armys of flatworms and millions of dead shrimps and 50 of them were on the floor moving there legs like crazy, and the worms are eatting the shrimps

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
cuz i just went to my petstore today, and they was armys of flatworms and millions of dead shrimps and 50 of them were on the floor moving there legs like crazy, and the worms are eatting the shrimps
the worms were probably eating the bacteria that's eating the shrimps.

the worms multiply faster when there's a lot of decaying organing matter, hence more bacteria...

If you don't like them, just clean your tank.

And I used to have them in my nano with my shrimps and now all the worms are gone.. I ***umed my RCS ate them, which is a possibility. Shrimps eat micro-organisms too.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i put a army of fancy guppies frys in to clear it,

my shrimps are jus juvs and are 1 cm long shouldnt be a problem with frys

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yah I read a thread on APC where a flatworm was on a cherry shrimp female. Full grown. It seemed to be attacking it but I forgot what else happened.

I used to have them but now I don't. I have no idea why.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I ***umed my RCS ate them, which is a possibility. Shrimps eat micro-organisms too.
have you guys noticed the crazy profanity filter in the forum???

I spelled a s s u m e d and it *** the you know what.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Hey! how come yours showed up and mine got censored?
I assumed this and that. Assumed!

hmm. I guess they changed the silliness.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been noticing them in my shrimp tank and it seems like the shrimp are jumpy when they're down where the worms are. I don't know if they actually bother them or if the shrimp are just that way when they hang out at the bottom.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm mixed about how the planaria affects a planted tank. I unfortunately have them in my 29g RCS/CRS tank. I definitely DO NOT over feed, if anything I under feed. I don't have a mass horde of them but I do see them when I put a 1/16 of an algae pellet in my tank for the shrimp to eat.

I really don't see how these small, really slow worms can catch a shrimp and eat it. Shrimp are way too skittish and never stay in the same spot for more than a second or two. I can see them eating an ailing shrimp or a dead one, but to catch a live one? My shrimp are ALL OVER the place being my 29g tank is a shrimp-only tank. I've never seen one of these worms eating a shrimp, day or night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If these creatures bother you....don't ever think about having live rock in a saltwater reef tank! Have you ever tried to distinguish between a peanut worm and an extremely venemous baby sea snake/krait? I think the forked revolving tongue and scales gives it away.....but of course I don't know.;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think you are vaguely recalling posts regarding parasitic worms that invade the shrimp. You can see them inside ghost and feeder shrimp like big long white ribbons. The worms you are talking about that live in the tank in the substrate and on the glass are harmless. Don't worry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts