The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 10 gal that has been up for about 2 months now
I started to get GSA (green Spot) Algea a few weeks into the startup,
and let it run its course, scraped off after 3 weeks but it still returns.

My bigger problem now is the whole tank is infested with Staghorn alge, and returns faster then I can remove it. All the plants are covered with it

Here are the particulars on the tank:

Eco Complete Substrate
36 Watts of light on for (11 hrs)
Pressurized Co2 on for 12 hrs (1 hr prior light) 3 BPS, Glass difussor
Eheim 2215 Filter
EI dosing (1/8 tsp KNo3, 1/16 tsp KH2Po4 3x Week) ; (1/32 Micro Trace, 1/64 Iron 3x Week) Alt Days 50% Change weekly on day 7

I have been trying to remove as much of the algea as possible but it just keeps coming back. I'm this close to tearing the tank down and starting over since this I cant get this algea under control

anybody have any ideas, Suggestions, or see anything Im doing wrong that would encourage this algea to grow like mad ????

·
Registered
381 Posts
what's you fish load?
and reduce your photo period to 8 hours. You lights are on too long.
DITO If the reduced photo period does not help as much as you would like raise the light fixture up off the tank. This will reduce the intensity and should help out alot. 3-4 inches above the tank to start off. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Keep pulling out the staghorn, but don't worry about it much, it will disappear on it's own eventually. Do you have GSA or GDA(dust algae)? You say GSA but then describe a method for dealing with GDA. Spot algae is defeated by mastering CO2 and flow patterns, GDA usually needs blackouts IME.

The advice upthread is very good, lower your duration and lighting levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.