The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for reading this, I had a 4 month old fully cycled 55 gallon aquarium (using Dr. Tim’s One and Only Nit. Bac.) and we decided to upgrade to a bigger one (180 gallons) we used Diana Walstad’s method, about an inch of organic topsoil with no additives, no fertilizers and no surfactants, on top of this we added 2 inches of caribsea’s eco-complete substrate, the old canister filter (Fluval 405) and we added a new canister filter (Fluval 406) and used some of the old gravel, the filters are set as follows:
sponge, polyfiber, biomax and clearmax (phosphate remover).
The water was properly dechlorinated with prime, dosed with Dr Tim’s first defense, Seachem’s flourish excel, Flourish iron, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium per “beginner instructions on bottles”
we also planted the tank and transfer all the fishes (about 40 of them: Zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows, tetras) in the new aquarium a couple hours after the tank was set up.
The new tank has been running for about 30 Hrs. water temp 24.5 Celsius / 76 F. I tested the water parameters using Seachem and Fluval test kits, as of this morning the Seachem yielded the following results: free ammonia was very close to 0 (hard to read) and traces of total ammonia, traces of nitrites and about .3 mg/lt of Nitrates.
The fluval minimaster kit yielded the following results:
PH 7.5, ammonia less than .6 mg/lt, traces of nitrites and traces of nitrates.
Currently the tank is very cloudy like milky kind of greenish, I am assuming a bacterial bloom mixed with the colors from the ferts.
I am not quite sure about what to do now, can you please help/advise me?
I taught I had prepared for this, I am overwhelmed and I fear for the life of my fish.

Please pardon my English since it is not my first language.
Thank you, your help is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I feel as though you should have waited atleast a couple of days before putting your fish in there. While you had enough bacteria built up for your 55 gallon you dont have enough bacteria for over 3 times that amount. That cloudyness is a bacteria bloom. I think the only thing you can do now is wait and see. Maybe add a bottle of that I start cycle stuff(it comes with bacteria). Let's us know how it goes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would say as long as you didnt introduce any new fish into the new tank you would have a short mini cycle if anything.

All you can do is keep testing like your doing to make sure there isnt any spikes in nritrite or Ammonia and do water changes as needed to keep them in check. Also you can add aquarium salt at low doses to help the fish cope with any nitrite that may be present. I went from a 55 to a 75 the same way and didnt have any issues with the fish at all, just some clouding for a few days like your experiencing. If you think that the water is green from algae you could always cut your photoperiod down to help reduce that.

I hope this helps you out some and remember the main thing is to keep on top of water changes if you find any accumulation of trites or ammonia.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I feel as though you should have waited atleast a couple of days before putting your fish in there. While you had enough bacteria built up for your 55 gallon you dont have enough bacteria for over 3 times that amount. That cloudyness is a bacteria bloom. I think the only thing you can do now is wait and see. Maybe add a bottle of that I start cycle stuff(it comes with bacteria). Let's us know how it goes.

Think of it this way. Your bacteria build up to handle a certain amount of bio load from your fish etc... Its like you have a stove big enough to cook just enough food for your family in your current house, then your family moves to a house 3x the size with the same stove. As long as you dont have to feed any more people the stove will still make the same amount of food in the bigger house.

House is the tank, stove is the beneficial bacteria, and your family is your fish.

Although you did lose some of your bacteria that was in the substrate and what not there is still quite a bit there and should reproduce the extra needed ones pretty fast. The volume of the tank shouldnt affect your bacteria. If you would have moved the old substrate along with it you would have nothing to worry about. But with the top soil in there your likely gonna experience some spikes do to the organics in the soil coming out and the only way to keep up and keep the fish safe is by water changes till it balances out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank all of you for your kind replies,
@Hcancino yes, I felt the urge to wait but I did not want to have my fishes without a filter for that long, I "seeded" the new filter with some of the mulm from the substrate and 1 tray of biomax from the old filter and let it run for a day before transferring the fishes and the old filter to the new aquarium.
@xxbenjamminxx, that is a great way to put it, in a way they're part of my family, very small by the way, 2 kids and wife. And No, I did not added any new fish but I did use some of the old substrate and about 85 % of the aged water, I will closely monitor the parameters and keep up with the water changes as needed. I really like the Seachem tests but they're so hard to read.
All comments/advise are deeply appreciated.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you have it available, grab some Seachem Alpha (sold under the name Aquavitro) from a fish shop (may need to find a saltwater specialty shop for it), it oxidizes ammonia and nitrite in a pinch, and it's also a dechlorinator, like Prime, but more concetrated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@williamsonaaron Thanks mate!
@OverStocked, I am not quite sure is green, could be tanning from the Malaysian driftwood but I did notice that Flourish and Flourish Iron tint the water just a bit, like tea, I know that surface area and its agitation are critical for oxygen replenishment but can I inject Oxygen? if so, how?
All comments/advise are deeply appreciated.
Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.