The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
His names Thor got him a couple months after I got Loki my betta fish. They were the perfect pair. Last night he was on the glass and hadn't moved for hours which he never does. Then this morning was how I found him
(Im sorry I shouldve put this in shrimp and other invertebrates, just emotional and writing in a frenzy. I just googled what invertebrate means).

Photos from happier days

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pull him out and smell him... If it smells like tank water give him a day... If he smells bad then I'm sorry for your loss 😢

Also, was that skull decoration made for aquarium use?

The paint seems to be coming off, and I'm not sure that's a good thing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, was that skull decoration made for aquarium use?

The paint seems to be coming off, and I'm not sure that's a good thing...
Yes it was. I had the same issue previously with an octupus (which I replaced with the skull). I'm prob going to replace the skull too, i don't have good luck with decor lol

He doesn't smell, I'll smell again tomorrow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine did that once. He actually climbed out of my 10g rimless and travelled a couple of feet away from the tank before he turned his shell upside down. I put him back in the tank and he was fine for a couple of months. Then one day I found him the same way you did. I read online that sometimes they might fall off the glass and land upside down, and they have a hard time flipping themselves over, so I flipped him over and after a day or two he was moving around again. It took a few months before the same thing happened, only this time I came back to the tank to find my cherry shrimp picking away at him. I decided that he probably just died of old age.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had four tiger nerites just like yours in my 45 tall community tank a little over 2 years now, they're very hardy... I thought I had lost one or that he crawled out of the tank because I couldn't find him for days. He was behind a piece of hardscape the whole time not moving or doing anything... I nudged him a bit pulled him out and smelled him and put him back in the water and he's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When they die they no longer have the muscle to keep their lid closed (whatever you call that flap). Also as noted above they stink. Chances are pretty good if you bury him you will be burying him alive; but if he did die it was probably from fright after seeing that skull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts