The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 10 gallon snail breeder is now a *planted* snail breeder, i had almost a whole bag of pool filter sand, and the snail breeder tank had a bunch of cuttings from my puffer tank in it just floating

i figured "why not"

rinsed the sand until it ran clear, and dumped a good amount into the tank, leveled it out and planted the cuttings

so now the 10 has a good amount of Hornwort, a lot of Water Sprite cuttings and plantlets, pearlweed, and some amazon sword plantlets

the current animal occupants are around 30 or so Brown Rams of varying sizes and 2 Golden Brigesii apple snails, i may put a couple Amanos in there as well

the next question is what fish should i add to the tank, something that stays small, and is interesting, i'm not a fan of the standard "stupid" community fish like Neons , Danios and Barbs, i was considering maybe a Betta or other gourami, but i'm not sure if they eat juvenile snails

the main requirements for fish occupants are;
will not eat snails
must have personality
non-destructive to plants

on second thought, maybe i should just dump some Cherry Red shrimp and turn it into a shrimp/snail breeder.....

·
Registered
955 Posts
Cool. If you decide not to add shrimp, I would vote for a betta in that tank. Or you could get a couple female bettas (not as territorial and aggressive as the males).

I think you'll want to get that apple snail outta there though. It'll make short work of your plants...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the brigesii apple snails (apparently) don't eat healthy plants, just the dying ones, and so far they have shown no sign of chowing down on the plants, the cuttings have been in the tank a couple of weeks and the Brigesii's haven't touched them

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you want a gourami with a lot of personality i would suggest a Paradise Fish. If you can find some with good coloration they can be just as nice as a betta but you can keep more than 1 in a tank. :icon_bigg

·
Registered
618 Posts
I second the paradish fish, i keep two very colorful ones in a tank with, 2 oto, 1 male guppy, 2 female guppys, 3 danios, and 2 black tetras. some say they are agressive and territorial, i have noticed no such thing in my two paradise fish - even in the planted 10 gallon i have. i would make sure you get two females though. im going to assume both of mine are females. good luck!

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
I would not put a paradise fish into a 10 gal. Especially not a male, and especially especially not more than one. They need bigger tanks, and can get very aggressive. Forget shrimps with them, and I would think they can take care of snails too...

I am not very fond of fishies that swim from one side to the other and back and so on and so forth either... I have dwarf pencils in my 10 gal, I would love to have clown killies if my water was softer, and I will try some of the smaller gouramis (Trichopsis etc) in a few years when the pencils are in fishy heaven.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the breeder tank has a new occupant, and in keeping with my "Farscape" theme i have named him "Talyn"

sorry for the poor focus, he's camera shy right now so i had to trick him, i stood a bathroom mirror next to the tank and took a picture of him reflected in it

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow! that is a nice looking tank. that betta has to have some of the most brilliant colors i have seen in a betta! i hope your tank turns out well :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts