The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first batch of ghost shrimp was to help control my algae. They did a great job but after about a week I saw 2 dead bodies and then after a few more days they were all gone or always somewhere I can't see them. I even did a re-plant and had almost all the plants out of the tank. Still no shrimp.
tank mates...
tetras(red-eyed, black neons, serpae)
discus
oto cats
SAE's
cory
pleco
blue ram

did they die, get eaten or hide away.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmm...sounds like maybe your discus ate them! :icon_eek: I would think most shrimp would be a delicious snack for them. Even your blue ram would think so too.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
You don't have compatible tankmates. Your shrimp were most likely just an expensive food.
Discus WILL eat them. I would also worry about pleco, blue rams and SAEs. Keep small fish with the shrimp.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Hey ghost shrimp are very inexpensive, and larger fish love them. So it's not a total loss.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
They probably got snacked on. But you should know that those ghost shrimp you find at the fish store can only tolerate freshwater for the first few weeks/months of thier life, and then need saltwater to survive. I've kept them in a tank with ZERO predators and they still all died after a month and a half or so.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I beg to differ as far as them being expensive. 20 cents each.
Is that true that they are not fresh water shrimp or sometimes stores will get the wrong kind of shrimp and think there ghost shrimp? They are not small when I get them and a few were pregers. could they really breed and hatch eggs if they were in water that off from what they should be in?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
They probably got snacked on. But you should know that those ghost shrimp you find at the fish store can only tolerate freshwater for the first few weeks/months of thier life, and then need saltwater to survive. I've kept them in a tank with ZERO predators and they still all died after a month and a half or so.
Thats wrong.

Most stores in the USA carry a more local "Ghost shrimp" it can breed in full FW and I have bred it. IT isn't easy but it is possible. Usually they die after a month and a half because they're really old. The ones you see in the store are HUGE have you ever seen a baby, or juvi one in the stores? Usually not. My case is settled...

Just so you know I'm talking about the clear shrimp that usually have the RED bands on their claws and antenna...

-Andrew

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me I'm not arguing this is my first time with shrim. I only bought them to help with my algae. And they did. If those are not FW shrimp what are and what are good for algae and where do you get them, Mail order?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts