The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my tanks are low tech / low light. I have Java Ferns, Anubias, crypts, ect... but for whatever reason I cannot keep moss alive if my life depended on it. I've tried Christmas moss, Flame moss and even managed to kill Java moss of all things.

Is there some secret to growing moss that goes beyond the scope of keeping other low light plants? I'd love to have 'bushes' of Flame moss, but until I can figure out how to keep it / why I keep killing it, I won't keep buying more.

pH: 6.8
Temp: 82
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: Between 5-7 ppm
Ferts: PSS-Pro

I don't use CO2 or Flourish Excel. Been adding things like Wisteria, Frog Bit and Water Spite to both tanks to soak up any extra nutrients to keep algae at bay.

Lighting: 29- gallon: Fluval Aquasky
10-gallon Fluval Eco: this is going to be changed to another Aquasky. There is nothing wrong with the fixture itself. I prefer to have more dimming options. The light comes with 4 presets, I don't like any of them.

I leave lights on for 6 hours. 29 gallon gets filtered morning sun before I turn lights on. 10 gallon gets filtered afternoon sun after I turn lights off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is there a reason you're running at 82*? I took the heater out of my shrimp tank a few months ago, and the mosses started growing like wildfire. I also increased the lighting and the water flow in the tank around the same time, so I can't be certain which variable caused the explosive growth, but I've heard that mosses enjoy cooler waters.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmmm I also cant not grow moss, all kinds of moss as soon as I put it in my tank they start to brown after a week. Every other plants grow like crazy which needs to be trim once a week and my plants pearl everyday. My heater is set to 70-74 maybe I should just unplug the heater altogether and see what happens?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a reason you're running at 82*? I took the heater out of my shrimp tank a few months ago, and the mosses started growing like wildfire. I also increased the lighting and the water flow in the tank around the same time, so I can't be certain which variable caused the explosive growth, but I've heard that mosses enjoy cooler waters.
No reason, I've always kept my tanks around this temp. By the sounds of it, it needs to be lowered.

I should have mentioned what I'm doing with the Frog Bit and Water Sprite in my first post.

I have HOB filters, so to keep the plants out of the water flow, I have the surface of the tanks divided in half. In the 10 gallon I have a piece of fishing line tied to two suction cups. I've done the same with the 29 except instead of using fishing line, I have a piece of air line tubing as my bows like to pull, tug and chew on things.

I take no credit for this idea. I saw it on a You Tube video and thought I'd give it a try. So far it is working well.

Plants that like more light are put towards the back where there is nothing blocking light. For the anubias, crypts and java ferns, they get plenty of light, but not too much.

I will lower the tank temps and try moss yet again. Both tanks have good water flow, so that shouldn't be a issue.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I would agree somewhat cooler water that is 'clean' helps. Growing like mad without co2 has never happened for me. If I wanted to grow moss I would choose co2 at 25c over no co2 at 20c any time. Not all water is the same, so this is what has worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.